Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced blower motor; not getting much air out of the vents

Hi everyone,

I recently replaced a blower motor in my furnace. It was an 1/8 HP AO Smith, and the replacement motor is the same 42Y mounting, but a 1/5 HP. I would expect it to perform better.

When the air kicks on, the motor spins up nicely. I removed the filter and held a piece of paper in the gap where the filter was, and I saw it drawn towards the shroud and the motor.

However, as my title says, I am not getting much airflow at all, even out of vents that are a few feet away from the furnace. My bedroom registers are cool to the touch, but there is virtually no air coming out.

I remember the old motor pushing more air throughout the house. Perhaps I've done something dumb, like obtaining a replacement motor that is counter-clockwise, so it's rotating the fan in the opposite direction? Seems that shouldn't matter much though, even if it's the case, based upon the way the shroud is constructed.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks,

-Joe

but motor direction DOES make a difference. A squirrel cage sucks air into the center and out around its circumference.

Comment

motor directoin makes a huge difference,most replacement motors can be switched for either direction by moving one wire,read the motor rating plate for instructions

Comment

while you are at it check the motor rpm-s. the frame designation is 42Y but that could be true for the same motor but with different speeds.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =