Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged Drain Pipe?

I'm having an issue with the emergency drip pan filling, tripping the safety shut-down switch. I've cleaned the drain pipe which is clear, but the pan still fills. It takes a day or 2, but still fills.
    The question is..Is there something inside of the unit, under the coils maybe, that needs attention? Is it ok to turn off the air, cut the silver tape, remove the panel and look? Also, while I'm in there, should I clean out the coils\coil area and how?
    Help.
    jeff

what is the issue? an air conditioner or a room dehumidifier?

Comment

AC unit in the attic.

Comment

does your drip pan have a drain connection on it ? like to a sink drain?

Comment

drain

Hi,
          If your drain is clear, the source of your water is probably your primary drain pan inside of coil. The primary drain could also be blocked inside allowing water to only flow out of secondary into pan. If you pull door off, you will see a pan under the coil which directs water to drain out of the unit. If it's a older model, it may have a metal pan inside that has rusted through allowing water to fall right through. Also, if your unit is low on refrigerant, the unit could be freezing up, and then defrosting, filling the pan with water. good luck, be careful, and please call an expert if needed.
          Last edited by delangel22; 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Cut the PVC drain line, use an air compressor or your lungs to blow both ways into the pipe. One side should have more restriction. That will be the clogged side. I use 50/50 bleach and water to clear/clean the lines. Install a T fitting in the PVC where you cut it and every season pour a gal of the 50/50 mix down the line. Flush with 2 gal of just water after that.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =