Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray foam insulation

Hi,

In the bedroom of my apartment, on one exterior wall, the baseboard is separated from the flooring by nearly an inch.

Needless to say there is a huge draft here and I was thinking of using sprayfoam insulation to stop it.

The problem is there is one of those old electric heaters there on the baseboard as well. I've heard that the foam is flammable while curing, and after that can release toxic gas if it melts.

Is there some other insulation solution that will work, is melting foam not likely to be an issue?

Thanks!
    cjm

Theres more than one way to do a thing. You can put quarter round to cover the gap. You also can use an insulation thats rated for heat but don't put it right by the heater, but stuff it deep inside the gap, that way it won't be by the heater and it serves its purpose in blocking the air that is coming in from the outside but is away from the heater.

Comment

the heater is mouinted ABOVE the floor and the moulding. Heat from the baseboard heater will rise so you needn't worry about heat melting the foam.

Comment

Originally posted by The Builder View Post
        Theres more than one way to do a thing. You can put quarter round to cover the gap. You also can use an insulation thats rated for heat but don't put it right by the heater, but stuff it deep inside the gap, that way it won't be by the heater and it serves its purpose in blocking the air that is coming in from the outside but is away from the heater.
        Thanks I think the gap is pretty deep so this will probably work.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          the heater is mouinted ABOVE the floor and the moulding. Heat from the baseboard heater will rise so you needn't worry about heat melting the foam.
          A lot of heat rises on convection currents but the insulation could still potentially get hot because heat can also move by radiation and possibly even conduction.

I would guess the foam has good heat resistance since it is an insulator but I want to be extra cautious.

Comment

the element of a baseboard heater is in the upper third of the heater unit. there's essentially nothing on the bottom. they use a chase at the bottom of the heater for wires and wires extending to another heater along the same horizontal plane on the same wall.

Comment

heater diagram

most baseboard heaters are constructed like this drawing. Nutone, Emerson, Electromode are like this. I never seen any wiring going through the top of the heater just at the bottom chase.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =