Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating bedroom floor over garage

During the installation of my new siding I come to find out that the bedroom floor above the garage is not insulated. I only have access to 2/3 of the floor. The garage is not insulated. Above the bedroom is an insulated attic. I live in Northern California and haven't had much of an issue keeping the room warm in the winter but it is a bit cooler. How should I insulate the floor? What is code? Am I wrong to think insulation should be there?

Are the garage walls insulated already? Just a thought, i picture down where you are at the inside of the garage walls as being open studs, if that is the case i may be faster, easier and cheaper to insulate the garage. you would end up with a warmer garage and a warmer room. Just my thoughts...

Comment

Insulation certainly should be there, I'm surprised it's not as it's code to have insulation above a garage when there are living spaces above.
      The min. is R13 but as the walls of the garage are not insulated then R19 is called for as this area is then treated as a kinda big crawlspace.
      You mentioned that you have access to 2/3 of the floor but not how ?, is the garage ceiling dry walled ?. If it's not then your job then just became much MUCH easier, in this case all you need to do is buy and install faced R19 insulation in the joist cavities.
      What is stopping you getting access tom the other 1/3 ?
      As a footnote by not having the garage ceiling insulated and having a living area above it the real EXTRA cost of heating and cooling is probably around $20-$30 a month
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The floor joists are also cantilever beams for a balcony. I am having the balconies replaced due to rot. The balcony spans across 2/3 of the bedroom. I have access to the floor though the outside of the house. I will have to blow insulation in to reach the other side of the room which is 15’. I will have to access the rest of the floor for insulation by removing the garage ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =