Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Pump Operation

My home is 2 years old and has a 5 ton Frigidaire Heat Pump installed with a 20 KW auxiliary heat strip. I know something about the operation of a heat pump but am not an expert by any means. I have several questions.

Yesterday the temperature here in Kentucky was 14 and the low this morning was 9. The unit seemed to blow cold air yesterday afternoon with the thermostat set on 71 and unit ran almost constantly.

With the heat strip shouldn't the air have been warmer?
    At what point does the heat pump shut down and the auxiliary heat take over?

When the temperature gets below 25 or so shouldn't the unit shut down and go to strips entirely?

Last night with the thermostat set 66 the unit ran most of the night.
    Is this ordinary operation?

My thermostat is a White Rogers and has the little blinking flame if the heat strips are on. The only way I can see this blink is if I raise the thermostat setting 2-3 degrees above the existing temperature being shown on display. Would I be better off with some other kind of programmable thermostat? The instruction sheet with the thermostat states that the thermostat shows a flame icon if the heat mode is on and a blinking flame icon if auxiliary heat is on. Mine as tated above unly blinks if I raise the temperature 2 degrees or more above what thermostat is showing. Once it reaches the new temperature setting it goes back to a non blinking flame.

Is there something wrong with the setup of the unit, either thermostat or unit?

Thanks
    JOhn

Originally posted by JRH View Post
    My home is 2 years old and has a 5 ton Frigidaire Heat Pump installed with a 20 KW auxiliary heat strip. I know something about the operation of a heat pump but am not an expert by any means. I have several questions.

Yesterday the temperature here in Kentucky was 14 and the low this morning was 9. The unit seemed to blow cold air yesterday afternoon with the thermostat set on 71 and unit ran almost constantly.

With the heat strip shouldn't the air have been warmer?
    At what point does the heat pump shut down and the auxiliary heat take over?

When the temperature gets below 25 or so shouldn't the unit shut down and go to strips entirely?

Last night with the thermostat set 66 the unit ran most of the night.
    Is this ordinary operation?

My thermostat is a White Rogers and has the little blinking flame if the heat strips are on. The only way I can see this blink is if I raise the thermostat setting 2-3 degrees above the existing temperature being shown on display. Would I be better off with some other kind of programmable thermostat? The instruction sheet with the thermostat states that the thermostat shows a flame icon if the heat mode is on and a blinking flame icon if auxiliary heat is on. Mine as tated above unly blinks if I raise the temperature 2 degrees or more above what thermostat is showing. Once it reaches the new temperature setting it goes back to a non blinking flame.

Is there something wrong with the setup of the unit, either thermostat or unit?

Thanks
    JOhn
    It sounds to me like you are operating of the wrong thermostat. Heat pumps are not to be used below 28 to 35 degrees.
    it sounds like you have a two stage stat. They have to drop 1-1/2 to 2 degrees
    before second stage electric heat kicks in. Later Paul

Comment

You better switch from White Rodger to Honeywell 8000. In my opinion White Roger is not very good thermostat. Also you install outdoor sensor and it will automatically block your compressor at low temperature so won't have that issue anymore.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =