Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with heat pump in the rain.

Hi, I have been having an issue with my heat pump where any time it rains, the blower starts blowing about 3-4 times harder out of the vents and causes the air to become almost cool and what little heat is left is spent in the fist couple rooms causing the other rooms in the house to be quite cold. The unit works fine when it is not raining.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

Thanks for your help.

I guess it depends on the orientation of where your condenser unit is. under an eave or roof overhang where the roof runoff strikes the unit. The fan is a constant speed but with the additional moisture hitting the fan blades causes the motor to work harder. instead of venting off excess heat its also throwing off water which is colder than ambient air. so the gas/liquid in the condenser is cooler as it is being pushed along. internal temperatures are cooler. its as if the condenser was water cooled as opposed to air cooled. with water cooled there is a temperature difference of 15 degrees.

Comment

My unit is on top of my roof... is there anything I can do to fix it?

Comment

if the condenser fan is vertically mounted, no. Rain will always hit it. if it is horizontally mounted, building an angled hood over the output might help.

Comment

Originally posted by smith811 View Post
          My unit is on top of my roof... is there anything I can do to fix it?
          If i was you, i would call a tech out to check out your unit. i will say yes the cool rain water going into the outdoor coil can change the output some, but they are made to set out side so i don't think it should change the out put like you are saying. Later Paul

Comment

Working...
          X
          =