Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new compressor

Hey all,

Wife and I just moved into our first home. Unfortunately the AC unit broke the second day we were in there. Fortunately though we had insurance to cover that kind of thing. They sent out a technician who looked at our unit and said the compressor was locked and suggested that since the unit was so old that the company would hopefully replace the unit. Well, turns out they are just going to replace the compressor. My question is - with the compressor replaced is the AC going to run as if its a new unit? Or is there some other things I can /should replace to help it run better? I dont know much about AC's, but if replacing the fan in the unit would help it I could probably manage that myself. My main concern is if just replacing the compressor will make the unit work like new (or at least effeciently enough to cool us without a huge electric bill).

Dont know much about the unit since its so old the model numbers are hard to find or missing. I do know that the brand is a magic chef though.

Thanks for any advice!

if the air handler fan works with no noise then why change it? same with the condenser fan. when the compressor is replaced, the tech should apply a vacuum pump to a 30 inch mercury level and maintain the vacuum for a 24 hrs period. if there are no leaks then he adds freon by weight. have him add compressor oil as the oil moves with the freon in the closed system. some systems have a gauge glass in the suction line to see if there are bubbles in the system. also because the compressor is being changed have the tech change the filter/dryer. have him double check the line connections. these are 37 degree flared fittings. regular flare is 45 degrees - THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =