Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat comes when I turn on the AC!

Wasnt sure if I should post this is here or in the electrical forum...
    I installed a programmable thermostat back in the winter and the heating worked just fine. However when i went to to turn on the AC today for the first time, the heat came on. When i originally installed it there were 2 extra wires that i didnt know what to do with - an orange wire (which I heard might be a dummy wire) , and a brownish looking wire. I hooked up the green, white, yellow, red in their respective spots on the thermostat. There was 2 spots left open on the thermostat, one which was labeled RC and one which just said not used. Im obviously am amateur here so if you had any ideas on what I might have done wrong, please explain it to me like Im a child - thanks! I followed the directions as listed in the manual and my house is only about 7 years old btw.

Originally posted by wakeuphicks00 View Post
    Wasnt sure if I should post this is here or in the electrical forum...
    I installed a programmable thermostat back in the winter and the heating worked just fine. However when i went to to turn on the AC today for the first time, the heat came on. When i originally installed it there were 2 extra wires that i didnt know what to do with - an orange wire (which I heard might be a dummy wire) , and a brownish looking wire. I hooked up the green, white, yellow, red in their respective spots on the thermostat. There was 2 spots left open on the thermostat, one which was labeled RC and one which just said not used. Im obviously am amateur here so if you had any ideas on what I might have done wrong, please explain it to me like Im a child - thanks! I followed the directions as listed in the manual and my house is only about 7 years old btw.
    Ok if your wires are colored coded right then your wires should be. White at furnace is white at stat. Red from furnace goes to RH and RC. Green at furnace to green at stat. Yellow at furnace to yellow at stat.
    Make sure the RH and RC are jumped together at the stat.
    The two wires coming from the outdoor condenser go to yellow and common at the furnace. Make sure you check the wires at the furnace to see if they are wired right. later paul

Comment

So do you split the red wire and connect it to both the R and RC connectors?
      I also forgot to mention its a heat pump, if that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeuphicks00 View Post
        So do you split the red wire and connect it to both the R and RC connectors?
        I also forgot to mention its a heat pump, if that makes a difference.
        on most of those stats that is what you do, put the red on both the r and rc.
        I don't know your control set up of your heat pump, but that the way the stats are wired. later paul

Comment

You need to check the wiring in your heat pump, On a lot of heat pumps the orange wire is energized at the thermostat to reverse the valve at the heat pump for a/c

Comment

Working...
          X
          =