Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The contactor I was referring to is the one that switches the main power to the outside unit. The 24V transformer is on the bottom of it that closes the points via the thermostat. It was not blown apart, my bad description, just doesn't have the top piece. I reconnected it and it works(there was another breaker in the house box that I wasn't aware of that was tripped, the breaker outside was not) - I jumpered across the points but that didn't make a difference. The points don't look burned or the wiring. The unit is working now as it was before, and as before has some difficulty when starting up, may take several tries and will trip the breaker sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by emsloan View Post
      The contactor I was referring to is the one that switches the main power to the outside unit. The 24V transformer is on the bottom of it that closes the points via the thermostat. It was not blown apart, my bad description, just doesn't have the top piece. I reconnected it and it works(there was another breaker in the house box that I wasn't aware of that was tripped, the breaker outside was not) - I jumpered across the points but that didn't make a difference. The points don't look burned or the wiring. The unit is working now as it was before, and as before has some difficulty when starting up, may take several tries and will trip the breaker sometimes.
      So we are right back to what i said before. you need a tech to check it out.
      Something is pulling too many amps or your start cap. is bad. You need to check the voltage on both sides of the contactor. You need to check the amp draw on both sides of the contactor. Have you even checked to see if you have a full 240 volts going to this unit? What is the running amps of the compressor when it is running? Are you getting a voltage drop across the contactor points? . Do you have a full 24 volts to the contactor to make it?
      later paul

Comment

Thats why I had the cap checked, although I don't know if an ohm meter check is that reliable. I don't know its value since its rusted and the schematic is faded out. Yes I have the full 240V to the contactor and 24V to the transformer. I can't check the current draw since my meter only goes to 20A. I will check the voltage on the other side of the points though. I'm sure its drawing too much current, since it sometimes trips the breaker and dims my house lights when it starts. I did call a tech initially, but he never came - i'm way out in the boondocks. Will try again.

Comment

motor capacitors can be checked by jumping across the terminals with a screwdriver. if a loud snap and arc occurs the cap is ok. using a meter, set the range to RX1 and put the prods across the common and one side. a good cap will charge up and immediately discharge as shown on the meter. go to the intertherm site. they have pictures of intertherm parts.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =