Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat pump freon leakage

Hello all,

I moved in to a 2003 house last November with a heat pump and found the heat pump did not heat the house well soon. I had a technician checked the heat pump and he suggested that it was due freon leakage. He added some freon (3 pounds) and the heat pump seemed work fine for a while.

I had been away from my house for almost one month recently. I set the room temperature as 83 degrees when I left. However, I came back home with a home temp of 89 degrees. I used a thermostat to test the temp of air out of ventilator (from the heat pump) and got a number of 82. The same technician checked the heat pump and found the freon was again too low. He pumped over 3 pounds freon to the heat pump (in half a year!). Cool air came out of the pump right away.

I have a Carrier 38YKC042330 heat pump using R-22 freon. I was told that I might have to replace the heat pump since R-22 will phase out in 2020 and it might be hard to get R-22 in a couple of years. I was also told that it is no way to replace the evaporator since new products don't match with old ones.

Is the leakage significant? I wonder what I can do with the heat pump. Any suggestions?

I am now thinking of take advantage of the tax credit by replacing a energy start heat pump if the leakage gets worse. Do you have any comments?

also, is it possible for me to replace this heat pump with a natural gas furnace and central air conditioner?

I have 2200 sqft brick house (one level). but my electricity bill for last February was $250 when I set the indoor temp of 60 degree. a gas furnace might help to decrease the heating cost. I have to pay about 1000 ft gas pipe line to my house, though.

Many thanks!

Daniel

instead of or in addition to - have your tech sniff out all the joints on your heat pump. the easiest thing to do is just add freon to a system. when there is a leak in the refrigeration line, chances are there is also moisture in with the freon and that'll cause problems further down the line. typical non brazed fittings are a good source of leaks. mis matched fittings are causes of leaks. flare fittings can be 45 degree or 37 degree flares. sometimes they get mixed up and cause leak problems. high and low limit pressure switches use flare fittings. access fittings of the bolt on design cause leaks. tube puncture access fittings cause leaks.

Comment

Or the tech could use this..

Cliplight Manufacturing - HVACR

Comment

Originally posted by chz9392000 View Post
        Hello all,

I moved in to a 2003 house last November with a heat pump and found the heat pump did not heat the house well soon. I had a technician checked the heat pump and he suggested that it was due freon leakage. He added some freon (3 pounds) and the heat pump seemed work fine for a while.

I had been away from my house for almost one month recently. I set the room temperature as 83 degrees when I left. However, I came back home with a home temp of 89 degrees. I used a thermostat to test the temp of air out of ventilator (from the heat pump) and got a number of 82. The same technician checked the heat pump and found the freon was again too low. He pumped over 3 pounds freon to the heat pump (in half a year!). Cool air came out of the pump right away.

I have a Carrier 38YKC042330 heat pump using R-22 freon. I was told that I might have to replace the heat pump since R-22 will phase out in 2020 and it might be hard to get R-22 in a couple of years. I was also told that it is no way to replace the evaporator since new products don't match with old ones.

Is the leakage significant? I wonder what I can do with the heat pump. Any suggestions?

I am now thinking of take advantage of the tax credit by replacing a energy start heat pump if the leakage gets worse. Do you have any comments?

also, is it possible for me to replace this heat pump with a natural gas furnace and central air conditioner?

I have 2200 sqft brick house (one level). but my electricity bill for last February was $250 when I set the indoor temp of 60 degree. a gas furnace might help to decrease the heating cost. I have to pay about 1000 ft gas pipe line to my house, though.

Many thanks!

Daniel
        The price of R22 has tripled in the last few years, and its going to go up fast now. So if you are going to stay with the R22, you need to get it fixed.
        I know the heat pump is efficient, but i don't like the problems they have with them. I like the 95 percent furnace with air on it. You get the tax credit
        and 10 years on all parts. Remember the dealer is just as important or more so then the equipment, Check out your dealers real close. Remember they end up with the check and you end up with the job. later Paul

Comment

Thanks for your help

Hello all,

thanks very much for your replies. I will further talk with my technician about the issues you guys brought up when I am back to my house in August.

BTW, do you think it is worthwhile to replace the whole system and make use of the tax credit?

Have a nice summer!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
          X
          =