Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should i be mad? My outside air conditioner was never bolted down.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i be mad? My outside air conditioner was never bolted down.

My outside condensor was not bolted down, and was installed only 5" from my walls. Yesterday I encountered a technician that says it doesn't need to be bolted down. The unit failed due to the compressor grounding, in my opinion a condition made possible by all the extra vibration. The company responsible, so far nameless, wants me to pay $250, but i don't think i deserve an extra bill right now.

The unit is only three years old and it's the second time it's broken down, shouldn't the company foot the entire bill, and if not shouldn't i get the BBB involved?

Technician is Right

The technician is right.

Neither mechanical codes nor installation instructions normally require a condensor to be bolted down, only that they be installed on a flat surface at least 4" above finished grade.

Most residential condensors are simply put on a prefabricated vinyl or fiberglass base.

Condensors are also required to be installed using flexible conduit so that the conductors can actually bear a good deal of movement without affecting the conductors or the unit's performance.

That said, whether you have a case will depend upon the unit's warranty.

After 3 years you probably have no warranty...and no case...and will have to foot the bill for a new condensor.

Comment

No Bolts required

"normally" it doesn't need to be bolted down, are you serious? I don't expect a loose machine to last and i bet your personal air conditioner is bolted down. . . . . How about telling me the truth, your company isn't liable.

Comment

a/c's are rarley if ever bolted down. And your using this as an excuse as to why your compressor failed? and looking for a reason as to why someone else should cover the cost...Your chances are slim and none. good luck!!

Comment

Excuses? what actions of mine could have possibly caused the early failure, Maybe bolting it down isn't the only issue, just the first thing i found, besides being loose, only 5" from the wall, the tvx valve wasn't protected during brazing, it has two filter driers, theres a mess of flux on the plastic pan. and it is under warranty thank-you very much. Is there anybody on this forum that believes in quality?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEDDARINAGOAT View Post
            Excuses? what actions of mine could have possibly caused the early failure, Maybe bolting it down isn't the only issue, just the first thing i found, besides being loose, only 5" from the wall, the tvx valve wasn't protected during brazing, it has two filter driers, theres a mess of flux on the plastic pan. and it is under warranty thank-you very much. Is there anybody on this forum that believes in quality?
            Yes i believe in quality. If you look inside your condenser, you will see that the compressor in mounted on rubber mounts. this is done because it does vibrate.
            In the 40+ years i have been in business i do not know of any manufacture
            that says to bolt down condensers. Your compressor should be under warranty
            for 5 years. I think he is charging you for the labor because the manufacture
            will cover the compressor but not the labor. Once in a while you could get a bad compressor, but usually they go bad because of poor instillation. If the installer does not keep things clean and does not pull a good vacuum, then you could have moisture and dirt inside the system. later Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, i'm going to make sure i get a clean job this time!

Comment

I found the true problem to be the plastic pan isn't suitably level. there is a railroad tie supporting one corner that it 1/2" above the concrete pad that supports the rest of it.
                when i put force in one direction it feels quite firm, the plastic pan grips the machine well, and i can see why a level installation doesn't need to be bolted down. But if i rock it in the other direction it shakes and wobbles easily with very little force, like a chair on uneven legs.
                So I'm going to take the warped plastic pan, place it on flat concrete, prove my point, and not pay a thing, infact their getting a bill, i should not have to educate myself in home repairs to get a quality job the first time, thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEDDARINAGOAT View Post
                  I found the true problem to be the plastic pan isn't suitably level. there is a railroad tie supporting one corner that it 1/2" above the concrete pad that supports the rest of it.
                  when i put force in one direction it feels quite firm, the plastic pan grips the machine well, and i can see why a level installation doesn't need to be bolted down. But if i rock it in the other direction it shakes and wobbles easily with very little force, like a chair on uneven legs.
                  So I'm going to take the warped plastic pan, place it on flat concrete, prove my point, and not pay a thing, infact their getting a bill, i should not have to educate myself in home repairs to get a quality job the first time, thanks everyone for your help.
                  You need to be careful moving the condenser around, If you crack the line set fitting lose you will have a costly repair. If the pad is warped a little, i don't think you can fix it. Just bring the one corner up so it hits. Some times the earth can settle and this can happen. Like i said before, the compressor is on rubber mounts and it moves a lot, so one corner being low did not cause your problem. Later Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =