Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of us that are newbie homeowners....

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of us that are newbie homeowners....

Well, had issues this past weekend and now I am at work and the repairman is at home and telling and showing the wife what is wrong with our unit. She said that there is a pump that is going bad that goes from the A/C unit to our sump pump that is not history yet, but is going bad. Since I know nothing whatsoever about how this works, at least I am honest about it and want to ask the experts. Is this something that a novice DIY'er can attempt to replace or should he leave this to the pros??

That "thing" is called a condensate pump. It is easy to replace. A/C companies charge an arm and a leg for them. WW Grainger would be a good source for a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      That "thing" is called a condensate pump. It is easy to replace. A/C companies charge an arm and a leg for them. WW Grainger would be a good source for a replacement.
      Well, I have looked online for a condensate pump and you can find them even at all the home stores. The closest Grainger is a little drive, so I would much rather order online if possible. When I get home tonight I will go down to the basement and check the unit. Other than the make and model of the A/C unit, without having to disconnect the pump, what else can I look for when looking online for a replacement?

Comment

motor rpm, voltage, rotation, maybe frame number, model or part number.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          motor rpm, voltage, rotation, maybe frame number, model or part number.
          Well, thanks for all the help. Unfortunately I did check Grainger's website, but you have to be a tech or distributor to order their parts.Did manage to find the condensate pump on another plumbers/HVAC supply site. I apologize if I come across like I didn't know about that "thing", but I was busy working to be able to pay to fix our A/C while I was just going on what my wife told me over the phone. I just was looking for any info to help me save hundreds of dollars and I found it. I just don't know much about HVAC units or else I wouldn't have gone on the forums for help. This is a great place for a novice DIY'er to learn everthing he or she has to know about owning and repairing their homes. Thanks to all the pros......

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerin_wit_tools View Post
            Well, thanks for all the help. Unfortunately I did check Grainger's website, but you have to be a tech or distributor to order their parts.Did manage to find the condensate pump on another plumbers/HVAC supply site. I apologize if I come across like I didn't know about that "thing", but I was busy working to be able to pay to fix our A/C while I was just going on what my wife told me over the phone. I just was looking for any info to help me save hundreds of dollars and I found it. I just don't know much about HVAC units or else I wouldn't have gone on the forums for help. This is a great place for a novice DIY'er to learn everthing he or she has to know about owning and repairing their homes. Thanks to all the pros......
            Make sure you buy a pump that has a check valve built into it. They also make some that have a switch built in that can be used to turn off your furnace or air con. if the pump does not pump the water out. Usually it is a low volt switch.
            Later paul

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerin_wit_tools View Post
              This is a great place for a novice DIY'er to learn everthing he or she has to know about owning and repairing their homes. Thanks to all the pros......
              After lurking here for a while, I have to agree. My wife and I purchased an older home and I learned very early on I could not afford to hire a repairman for all the large appliances. I learn as I go. No doubt a pro could do it faster, but I can't afford all that experience.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =