Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a new condensor motor fan. Got some questions

Hello,
    I am replacing my old Rudd condensor fan motor and capacitor. The new motor came with four wires (brown,brown/white,black and a white. The capacitor is a dual run oval.

This is what I am doing: I am taking my brown wire from fan motor to "F' in capacitor, my brown/white wire from fan motor to "C" on the capacitor, the white wire from fan motor to the T1 in the contactor and the black wire to T2 in the contactor.

I have been told that there should be another wire fron "c" at the capacitor to the contactor but where to, T1 (black) or to T2 (white) ?????

Thank you for your time
    Last edited by Spearo; 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM.

I am having a similar problem, I feel I am getting closer to figuring mine out, but you might look at the motor and post the information on the Motors ID Tag so we know what kind of motor we are dealing with, also with the Manufacturer name we may be able to pull some data from the Manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearo View Post
      Hello,
      I am replacing my old Rudd condensor fan motor and capacitor. The new motor came with four wires (brown,brown/white,black and a white. The capacitor is a dual run oval.

This is what I am doing: I am taking my brown wire from fan motor to "F' in capacitor, my brown/white wire from fan motor to "C" on the capacitor, the white wire from fan motor to the T1 in the contactor and the black wire to T2 in the contactor.

I have been told that there should be another wire fron "c" at the capacitor to the contactor but where to, T1 (black) or to T2 (white) ?????

Thank you for your time
      You have wired it up the way it says to, so have you tried it to see if it works? It sounds to me that you have both legs going to the motor, and one leg coming back to the cap. and back to the motor to give the one winding a kick to get it started in the right direction.
      later paul.

Comment

Originally posted by supere989 View Post
        I am having a similar problem, I feel I am getting closer to figuring mine out, but you might look at the motor and post the information on the Motors ID Tag so we know what kind of motor we are dealing with, also with the Manufacturer name we may be able to pull some data from the Manufacturer.

I'll be working on the unit again this weekend but the info. on the new motor is:

Smith
        Model F48AD53A01
        1/4 hp- rot rev.
        rpm 1075
        volts 208-230
        amp 1.9 hz 60
        cap 5 mfd 370 Made in China

Thanks

Comment

This motor is referred to as a psc motor. permanent split phase capacitor [motor]
          two ways to wire it. high speed=black, medium speed=blue, low speed=red. white is common, brown to capacitor, brown/white to capacitor. therefore L1 [hot] to speed switch, white to common, brown/white and brown to capacitor - or- L1 [hot] to speed switch, white common, brown to capacitor, brown/white tape off, white to capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
            This motor is referred to as a psc motor. permanent split phase capacitor [motor]
            two ways to wire it. high speed=black, medium speed=blue, low speed=red. white is common, brown to capacitor, brown/white to capacitor. therefore L1 [hot] to speed switch, white to common, brown/white and brown to capacitor - or- L1 [hot] to speed switch, white common, brown to capacitor, brown/white tape off, white to capacitor.
            He is wiring up a 220volt condensor fan motor. later paul

Comment

So? your point?

Comment

So? your point?
                I don't think this condenser motor has speeds. He has no red or blue wire.
                Later Paul

Comment

I included that info in case he had speeds. if there is no speed issue then he has to wire just a single speed. C'mon, Paul, get with the program!

Comment

I will try your "first way" and if i follow this right: black from motor to T1, white from motor to T2 and to "C" in capacitor, brown to "F" in capacitor and the brown/white wire just cap off.

Thank you very much HayZee

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =