Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven cooling

The heat pump outside my house and the air handler in the attic are are both on one side of my house, and the temperature on that side is always about 4 or 5 degrees cooler than on the other side. (This is probably the case with the heat as well, but I haven't been as aware of that.) Every time an air conditioning person comes here I ask if there is any way to equalize the distribution. The answers they have given me are (1) close the fins on the registers in the cooler areas, or (2) have the ducts in the attic redone properly.

Number one doesn't work very well, and number two would probably be costly, but I would be willing to go for it if I were sure it would solve the problem.

I would be grateful for any advice the members of this forum can give me.

Harriett

I'm not an expert but I can offer two cents worth, if your system is sized correctly to your house size, then yes often reconfiguring the duct work will probably solve your problems and yes it will be a little costly but if your equalizing your house temp. evenly then overall you will save heating and cooling costs, so once you get your quotes bare that in mind.
    There are a couple of really good AC guys that respond on this forum so wait for them, they will want to know square footage, ac and heat pump size and maybe manufacturer, number of windows and window sizes (roughly), they then can give you far better details.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by Harriett View Post
      The heat pump outside my house and the air handler in the attic are are both on one side of my house, and the temperature on that side is always about 4 or 5 degrees cooler than on the other side. (This is probably the case with the heat as well, but I haven't been as aware of that.) Every time an air conditioning person comes here I ask if there is any way to equalize the distribution. The answers they have given me are (1) close the fins on the registers in the cooler areas, or (2) have the ducts in the attic redone properly.

Number one doesn't work very well, and number two would probably be costly, but I would be willing to go for it if I were sure it would solve the problem.

I would be grateful for any advice the members of this forum can give me.

Harriett
      What you are asking is a engineering question. It would not do you much good to ask a service man, he is not a engineer. You would
      have to hire a good co and pay them to do a heat loss and cooling load on your home. They could then tell you if you are sized right.
      When i engineer a system for a house, i take a heat loss of each room.
      Then i can total them up to see size of equipment. Then i take the total cu.
      foot of air in the home and size the blower to move all the air in the house
      through the heating and cooling unit 5 times per hour. I then calculate heat needed in each room to cfm of air needed in each room. From this i can lay-out and size all my ducts to maintain proper static pressure and proper air flow to each room. later Paul

Comment

Thank you for your advice. Can you offer any tips on finding the right person or company for this job? (I live in Tampa.)

Harriett

Comment

Originally posted by Harriett View Post
          Thank you for your advice. Can you offer any tips on finding the right person or company for this job? (I live in Tampa.)

Harriett
          All you can do is ask around to find a good co. Check local and state permits on your co. to find old if the have had a lot of violation against them.
          later Paul

Comment

Thanks!

Harriett

Comment

Working...
            X
            =