Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!:York Furnace Smoked up my house.

Hi..

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows how to resolve it. I had a York Furnace installed in June 2010. It is a dual stage 96% efficient unit. The heat has been on in the house for a while and has been fine.. Last night before I went to be the I turned up the temp in the house 2 degrees and noticed that I didnt hear the blower kick in. And then I smelt something funny.. walked over to a vent and smelt a faint burning odor. I went to the basement to look at the unit and the blower did not kick in but you can hear a motor or something going. I went back up stairs and the house was filled with smoke. So bad that it woke up my wife and 8 month daughter.. and it wasn't just the smell of smoke.. it was a lot of SMOKE! I turned off the emergency switch and turned the gas off.

Today the folks that installed the unit came to look at it and it ran without issue through all the cycles. They didnt seem to have a clue as to what may of caused the unit to smoke up the house.

What was very disconcerning is that I thought the unit was about to catch fire and it didnt shut off on its own. I am afraid that my house will catch fire with my family inside.

Has anyone seen this before? Should I call York directly?

Any guidence on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.. Manny.
    Last edited by mannysaggio; 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM.

Originally posted by mannysaggio View Post
    Hi..

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows how to resolve it. I had a York Furnace installed in June 2010. It is a dual stage 96% efficient unit. The heat has been on in the house for a while and has been fine.. Last night before I went to be the I turned up the temp in the house 2 degrees and noticed that I didnt hear the blower kick in. And then I smelt something funny.. walked over to a vent and smelt a faint burning odor. I went to the basement to look at the unit and the blower did not kick in but you can hear a motor or something going. I went back up stairs and the house was filled with smoke. So bad that it woke up my wife and 8 month daughter.. and it wasn't just the smell of smoke.. it was a lot of SMOKE! I turned off the emergency switch and turned the gas off.

Today the folks that installed the unit came to look at it and it ran without issue through all the cycles. They didnt seem to have a clue as to what may of caused the unit to smoke up the house.

What was very disconcerning is that I thought the unit was about to catch fire and it didnt shut off on its own. I am afraid that my house will catch fire with my family inside.

Thanks.. Manny.
    I would think that they should have changed the electronic board, because if the blower did not come on, then things could over heat. i don't know of anything else that would have not let the blower come on. paul

Comment

the blower takes in make-up air through your cold air return then forces it around the heat exchanger then out the plenum to your rooms. the motor may be spinning but the fan may be stuck so the belt starts to smoulder. overheat is handled by means of plenum switches. the blower is handled by the hi-lo fan limit switches. check this air flow path.

Comment

Originally posted by mannysaggio View Post
        Hi..

Thanks.. Manny.
        I don't think it would be a belt making the smoke, because they have not used belts for many years now.
        The electronic board is what turns the blower on, it does not turn on from
        temperature sensing. So as long as its still under warranty i would have changed the electronic board. Paul
        Last edited by paul52446m; 10-22-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =