Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper A/C Tonnage

I understand that when you are getting a new central a/c unit there are many things that need to be checked. The square footage of the house, how much loss through windows, insulation thickness, etc. I am just curious though, if you have a 5 ton central unit that is 17 years old that was cooling the house well, GENERALLY SPEAKING would you need a new one that is 5 tons as well? I ask because there may be something with the new technology that changes that. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by sttb View Post
    I understand that when you are getting a new central a/c unit there are many things that need to be checked. The square footage of the house, how much loss through windows, insulation thickness, etc. I am just curious though, if you have a 5 ton central unit that is 17 years old that was cooling the house well, GENERALLY SPEAKING would you need a new one that is 5 tons as well? I ask because there may be something with the new technology that changes that. Thanks for any help.
    The new unit are a little more eff.. By living in the home you probably know how long your unit stay on and how long it is off in the hot weather. The most eff. for taking out humidity is to have it sized to run all the time in the real hot day, but then it is easy to go too small if you don't watch it. Also ask yourself what have you done to the house in the last 17 years, like more insulation, better windows,
    vented attic better, things like that make a difference.
    So when you say the old unit is cooling the house well, do you mean that it cools fast and only run half the time, if so they will tell you it is to large.
    About all you can do is check around and get a good co. that can prove
    there reputation. Later Paul

Comment

Thanks for the reply. On hot days it seems to run longer than it is it not running. On normal days it is the opposite. I know what you mean about not removing enough humidity if the unit is too large. I have not done any improvements as for as insulation. However, the roll type insulation in the attic is not really up to par, and I am thinking about adding about a foot thick of that blow in stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =