Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove an oil tank gauge

Hi again,
    One we get this heater and boiler set i should be good to go. Right now we are missing the enclosure for our oil tank gauge. The floater piece is in there but nothing covering it to prevent water from getting in. Well i would like to remove that and put a new gauge in and i cant seem how to figure that out. If i just pull up it only goes so far. Is there something that im supposed to take off or do that im not. thanks again for everyones help!

Originally posted by joshhudm View Post
    Hi again,
    One we get this heater and boiler set i should be good to go. Right now we are missing the enclosure for our oil tank gauge. The floater piece is in there but nothing covering it to prevent water from getting in. Well i would like to remove that and put a new gauge in and i cant seem how to figure that out. If i just pull up it only goes so far. Is there something that im supposed to take off or do that im not. thanks again for everyones help!
    it is in like a threaded fitting, You have to take a pipe wrench and unscrew it.
    I don't remember the size but it is a least 1" or more. Later Paul

Comment

The oil tank gauge is made up of two pieces of rather thin channel pivoted at the bottom. The upper plate is free to move. The boss is 1 1/2 or 2 inches to fit the bung on the tank. Depending on your tank orientation the gauge float will be fully extended or be just horizontal. Full extension for oval upright tanks and horizontal for oval flat tanks. Hold the float rod as you unscrew the gauge.

Comment

The gauge is gone. The plastic piece that surrounds the float is missing right now it looks just like a metal rod with a plastic circle washer on top that moves up and down to determine how much oil is in there only the plastic part and the part that screws into the tank is gone. how do i remove just the float or can i just find a new gauge cap?

Comment

You have to unscrew the whole thing. It is a 2" diameter thread. Use a 24 inch pipe wrench to unscrew it. Since the gauge is messed up already don't try to salvage anything. Lift the assembly up then at an angle to clear the cork float at the end of the second channel.

Comment

i was hoping that wasnt the case lol.. not sure its going to be an easy task taking that fitting off. thanks

Comment

its relatively easy. I took mine off with a 15 inch channel lock plier.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =