Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Practices for Installing a Crawl Space Vapor Barrier

Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of installing a vapor barrier in my crawl space and could use some advice. What’s the best thickness for the barrier to effectively control moisture? Should I overlap the seams and seal them with tape, or is there a better method? Also, how important is it to extend the barrier up the walls, and should I be concerned about any specific materials for the long-term durability of the crawl space vapor barrier? I’ve heard mixed opinions about whether to use a 6-mil or 10-mil barrier. Any insights or recommendations based on your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi! For your crawl space vapor barrier, a 10-mil thickness is generally better than a 6-mil one because it’s more durable and less likely to tear. You should definitely overlap the seams by about 12 inches and use a high-quality, moisture-resistant tape to seal them properly. Extending the barrier up the walls by at least 6 inches is also important to prevent moisture from getting behind it and causing issues. Opt for a polyethylene barrier or another high-quality, moisture-resistant material that’s designed for crawl spaces. This setup will give you the best protection against moisture and help keep your crawl space in good shape!

Keep us updated!

Comment

Working...
    X