Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower started making noise on Spindown

When A/C is used, in attic blower has started making squeaking noise
    during spindown when outside temperature is below a certain level.

Blower appears to be a heavy motor with twin squirrelcages attached
    on each side.

Does this type of motor need oil? I've never oiled in like 5 years.
    Obviously it appears to be dying. How long will it last like this before
    it starts making a constant noise?

Not sure how to get oil into the bearing since it would have to flow sideways.

Motor has some armored cable (steel conduit) leading from it
    (perhaps per code) so I'm not sure how easy it will be to replace.

look at the motor! see if there are caps on the end bells. supply us with the frame number, voltage, rpm, amps, manufacturer and stock number. with this info we can find out what type of bearings are in it.

Comment

Not sure what "caps on the end bells" mean. It has dual shafts that are bolted onto squirrelcage blowers.

It says
      FASCO V 115 HZ 60
      HP 1/8 AMP 1.75
      RPM 1500 (3 SPD)
      CAP 4MF 370 VAC
      NO 7184-0103 TYPE U184B 1 A0

It's sitting in a little mount that clamps onto both sides around each shaft.
      I don't see any oil filler holes anywhere. Looking at replacements is
      confusing because some of them have multiple amp and horsepower ratings.
      In my case above, it says "3 spd" so is only the highest RPM and amps setting listed?

What are the others?

Comment

on the end bells of the motor see if there are any plastic caps white or yellow. if there are any these are the oiler points for the sleeve bearing inside. 3 spd indicates a three speed winding.

Comment

It doesn't appear to have any ports as you can see on one side
          of the motor in these photos. Also, if I wanted to replace it,
          it looks like I'd have to pull the whole blower assembly off the
          box because the shafts are long and I don't think I could
          just slide it left or right and get it out after disconnecting the shafts
          from the blowers.

Comment

ok, then there is no means of oiling the bearings. what you have is oil-lite sleeve bearings. they are porous bronze oil impregnated, you'll need to install a replacement motor. get a frame number off the motor, the rpm-s and voltage then go to grainger supply and find a replacement.

Comment

I put all the info from the label above. Which is the "frame number"?

I'd imagine part of this line:

NO 7184-0103 TYPE U184B 1 A0

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to approach the disassembly? Which end of the
                conduit should I remove to be able to unplug the blower wires? (is it socketed
                at both ends?) Should i just try to remove the entire squirrelcage and shroud
                assembly as 1 piece? it doesn't look like it's possible to get the motor out
                without unbolting the shrouds from the box, even if I detach the squirrelcages
                from the axles.

Comment

if you can remove the entire blower assembly it'll make things easier. follow the armored cable and disconnect it from its junction box. inside each squirrel cage is a hub with a grub screw. use an allen wrench and loosen this screw. use some pb penetrating oil and slide the fan off the shaft. the motor is held in place by two clamps which are tightened by a screw. loosen the screws and remove the clamp. the motor sits in a cradle in the mount.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like the closest replacement has 4 speeds instead of 3 like the
                    current motor. There is no speed control on the thermostat. Is it likely set up
                    to always turn at the highest speed? Do the speeds correspond to the four
                    listed horsepower ratings? 1/8-1/10-1/15-1/20?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =