Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan motor wiring help needed

first, hello and and thank you for the privilege of posting and seeking help here. second, im trying to replace a fan motor on a heater, but cant figure out how to connect the wiring. these pictures should help clarify my dilemma: (attached below)

so i have 3 wires coming from the in-house unit: a red, a black, and a white that i need to connect to the new motor, but there is no free white wire on the new motor. how do i wire it?

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

please get me the make and model of the heater and the applied voltage. I'll do some digging. Haz

Comment

thanks man - here is some info (check the pics)

Comment

more pics...

Comment

ok, so i connected black to black, red to red, and yellow from the new motor, to the white coming off the unit. the system cycled, where the propane burners lit, then the fan came on - but it was slow and not very fast, you could barely tell it (the fan) was running. after a few minutes though, the propane cut off but the fan was still on - but at that point i shut down the electric, so i dont know if the fan would have stayed on or shut off...

thanks again for offering to help,
          much obliged.

Comment

from looking at what you have, the different colors indicate different speeds. I don't see a white anywhere or the capacitor leads, which the old diagram has. could be your replacement motor isn't the correct one?

Comment

i took a peek at a neighbor's unit, and his fan motor was missing a white wire as well (and used yellow instead), so apparently not all motors come with the white wire. but according to the new motor, yellow is the "common", so im fairly certain it should go to the white from the unit.

but yeah man - it turns out i have the wrong motor, not because of the missing white wire, but because of the voltage rating. the old one was 115v, the replacement one is rated at 208-230v, so it is indeed wrong. might explain why the thing was turning so slow.

im gonna (hopefully) get the right motor tomorrow, so we'll see if it works properly with red to red, black to black, and yellow to white, so we'll see - i may be back needing more help (hopefully not). but i do appreciate your help - thanks again.
              Last edited by needhelp138; 11-12-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by needhelp138 View Post
                first, hello and and thank you for the privilege of posting and seeking help here. second, im trying to replace a fan motor on a heater, but cant figure out how to connect the wiring. these pictures should help clarify my dilemma: (attached below)

so i have 3 wires coming from the in-house unit: a red, a black, and a white that i need to connect to the new motor, but there is no free white wire on the new motor. how do i wire it?

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!
                Did you look at the wiring diagram on the motor before you installed it?. If not then you need to take it back out so you can read the wiring digram. Your motor i believe is a three speed You have a red, black and yellow and a brown, , right? Do you have a capacitor? If not when you pull the motor back
                out see on the motor what capacitor this motor takes. You will probably be running the c white from the unit to the capacitor. The brown from the motor
                to other side of the capacitor. Then on the unit you have a black that goes to one motor speed for air con. and the red from the unit to the speed you want for heating. The speed wire that you don't use get caped off. On a 3 or 4 speed motor, do not ever hot up more than one speed at a time. Like i said if this is a new motor than it came with a paper wiring diagram or its on the motor. Paul

Comment

yeah I looked at your pictures. I saw the voltage rating on that yellowed paper sticker [v = 115] then I looked at the new sticker on the D1056 - it said 208-230. I was gonna question you on that. is grainger of any help to you?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =