Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here! Would like some opinions before I hire a professional

I have a rather old oil peerless boiler/burner.(15 years?) a year ago I was running low on oil and was still using the unit. Recently I just added about 80 gallons and now nothing is coming out of the feed line. I'll admit I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to home heating, but I've been coming along slowly. The filter bowl was a bit empty and had little sludge(not thick enough to possibly clog) blower is coming on and spinning the new fuel/oil pump, however as mentioned oil is not coming to feed line to the filter. I tried vacuuming with a hand pump to get flow. Fuel came out but as soon as I unplugged fuel seemed to have vacuumed back. The tank is in the basement along with the boiler. Maybe 1 foot above and about 35 feet apart. Is the fuel suppose to just flow? If I have a clog, is the only option to supply air pressure to tank? Could really use the help. Thank you.

sludge?

When adding new oil to to a "low" tank, sometimes the sludge on the bottom of all old tanks gets stirred up. It doesn't take much to clog up the feeder line from the tank.

Maybe give it some time for things to settle or if you have to, get a pro to blow out the line with a CO2 gun.

Your post didn't specify but if your feed line comes out of the bottom of the tank and you continue to have problems like this (sludge is clogging the line), you might want to have your tank converted over to a "top-feed" set-up.
    Last edited by dkpbxman; 11-22-2010, 12:41 AM.
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Zburner92 View Post
      I have a rather old oil peerless boiler/burner.(15 years?) a year ago I was running low on oil and was still using the unit. Recently I just added about 80 gallons and now nothing is coming out of the feed line. I'll admit I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to home heating, but I've been coming along slowly. The filter bowl was a bit empty and had little sludge(not thick enough to possibly clog) blower is coming on and spinning the new fuel/oil pump, however as mentioned oil is not coming to feed line to the filter. I tried vacuuming with a hand pump to get flow. Fuel came out but as soon as I unplugged fuel seemed to have vacuumed back. The tank is in the basement along with the boiler. Maybe 1 foot above and about 35 feet apart. Is the fuel suppose to just flow? If I have a clog, is the only option to supply air pressure to tank? Could really use the help. Thank you.
      Are you saying that the filter is at the oil burner 1' above tank out let? Is it a one line system? If so did you take the bypass plug out of the pump?
      There is a small 1/8" line going from the pump to the burner assemble.
      Take that line off at the burner assemble end and bend it down in a catch container, now you have a bleeder port on that pump. You need to put a piece of hosing over the bleeder fitting and lose sen that fitting just a little.
      now have the boiler call for heat and lose sen the bleeder fitting more until you have a full stream of oil coming out of the bleeder fitting. then close the bleeder fitting and then you should get a good flow of oil coming out of the small line going to the burner assemble , then turn it off. hook up small line back to burner assemble. try turning it on and see if it lites up. If the oil in the tank is higher than the top of the filter you could loss en the small screws on the top of the filter and that might let the air out of the line. leave it open until you get oil coming. Later Paul
      Last edited by paul52446m; 11-21-2010, 08:23 PM.

Comment

the bleeder fitting looks just like the brake bleeder fitting on your car. it is a one step barbed fitting with 3/8" acrosss the flats.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =