Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payne in the b*tt

So , I have a payne central heat system. The system is probably about 30 years old. I have been living in this house for three years and it has been working fine so far. Last night (while the heater was running), I noticed the air coming from the vents were cool. When I woke up this morning, the squirrel cage was running, but no heat.
    I noticed the (intermittent pilot) was not making the usual "clicking" sounds and am assuming that is not working. I am not sure why. Please help I am mechanically inclined, I just do not know where to start really.

look for a circuit board to be flashing a code, at that age, it might not have one, in this case there is a safety device that has tripped, most likely a flame roll out switch or main or aux temp switch
    It is what it is.......

Comment

Hey hvactech, Thanks for the reply. You are correct, the unit is a 1975 furnace. It does have a thermal fuse (for lack of a better term since I really do not know the terminology), I checked it's continuity and it was a closed circuit. So I am assuming it is somewhere between the spark ignitor, spark mechanism, gas valve, but I have no idea how to trouble shoot any of these. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

shut power off to furnace for 30 sec. then restart, see what happens. does the pilot assembly have 2 or 3 wires coming from it
        It is what it is.......

Comment

Well, it actually does nothing. The squirrel cage runs constantly and the pilot (auto intermittent) never sparks. Usually, in the past, before the furnace kicked on, I would hear the sparker "clicking" right before I heard the "woosh" of the furnace gas catching. This would run for about 30 seconds, then I would hear the fan kick on. Now there is no "clicking", no gas either (but I'm sure that is some sort of safety built in that keeps the gas from purging when there is no ignition so you don't have deadly gas build up).

Comment

on the igniter module, the thing that creates the spark do you have 24 volts input to it?

Comment

@HayZee518
              I just checked and I do not have 24v. The last place in the "stream" is at the thermal couple.

Comment

24v at thermal couple. Continuity check is good.

Comment

thermocouple do not get 24v to them or generate 24v please take some pictures and post
                  It is what it is.......

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =