Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make up air dampers

Hi,
    I have a make up air vent in the boiler room that is letting a massive amount of cold air into the house. It wasn't a problem (and was probably necessary) until last winter when I upgraded my boiler to a direct vent high e unit. now the only equipment in the mech room needing oxygen from the interior is the hot water tank. I realize the make up air vent is also important for kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans; but I'd be kidding myself if I thought the more general inefficiencies of the house (ie door seals, window seals, fireplace chimneys, etc) weren't enough to readily equalize pressures. I assume simply terminating the make-up air vent in the mech room with a typical gas water tank in the room is a bad idea that could lead to co2 and monoxide buildup even if the tank could otherwise burn efficiently. Anyone got any thoughts? - the draft this vent is creating is bad enough that I'm considering changing the tank to one that is direct vent outside, and terminating the make up vent. Alternatively (to negate needing to spend another 1200 for a new hot water heater (the tank is only 3 years old) I was wondering if anyone knows of an electronic damper that might be suitable; from what I know (which is admittedly limited) the challenge will be not so much with the damper as with the controls (ie how do I get the damper to open when the hot water tank is firing given its a typical tank with no output or relays to trigger such a device. Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

unless your house is air tight, there should be enough 0-2 around the basement to fire the hot water tank. about the only thing you could try is a thermopile generator and a comparible relay to turn on and off a motor operated damper. another alternative is an air operated damper from "Powers Regulator Co."

Comment

I agree with HayZee, you should have enough combustion air in the basement to allow for plugging the vent. if your equipment is in a separate mechanical room in the basement, then add a vent to the adjoining basement through the walls with a return air grill register
      It is what it is.......

Comment

Are we keeping in mind asking about dryer vents, bath & kit. vents taking out air and trying to pull a vacuum in the house. They make intake air vents that don't just drop cold in .
        They have traps built into them so they only let in the amount of air needed. Paul

Comment

Working...
        X
        =