Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York Affinity 9.S Furnace

Your Question

I have a york affinity 9.s series furnace that doesn't reach the desired temperature setting on the thermostat before cutting out. It then doesn't cycle back on unless i manually turn the furnace power switch off and then back on again. Anything basic i should be checking. Also, we recently did a basement reno and think that one of the hoses draining water from the furnace and/or the humidifier was not correctly hooked up. Does anyone have an illustration of proper set-up and connections?

Our problem seems to be continuing unfortunately! I thought I'd check into the forum again to see if anyone has any thoughts on what I should be looking for - we woke up this morning to a freezing cold house!

One other item we noticed is that the problem appears to occur more frequently when it is very cold outside although we can't seem to understand why (the furnace is located in the basement in a relatively well insulated area).

I'm still convinced the problem is related to water that is not draining well from the furnace (when I lift the hose a bit off the ground, a lot of water starts to drain out. When the furnace stops, the window on the York shows a red light that blinks 8 times quickly. Does anyone have a manual that would describe the error message?

When we turn the power to the furnace off and back on, the furnace starts up again and the red light turns green but it doesn't stay on for more than 5-10 mins and the indicator light turns yellow and then red before shutting off after the temperature in the house increases only about 1 degree......then I go through the whole process again, lift hose and drain water, turn the power off and on to reset the furnace. If I do this regularly for an hour or so, the temperature eventually gets upto 20 degrees celsius and then the furnace stays on for longer durations and cycles on and off without manual intervention (at least less so)!

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanksfor your consideration

It's cold in Toronto.......Cheers.

Faizel

Comment

Originally posted by faizela View Post
      Our problem seems to be continuing unfortunately! I thought I'd check into the forum again to see if anyone has any thoughts on what I should be looking for - we woke up this morning to a freezing cold house!

One other item we noticed is that the problem appears to occur more frequently when it is very cold outside although we can't seem to understand why (the furnace is located in the basement in a relatively well insulated area).

I'm still convinced the problem is related to water that is not draining well from the furnace (when I lift the hose a bit off the ground, a lot of water starts to drain out. When the furnace stops, the window on the York shows a red light that blinks 8 times quickly. Does anyone have a manual that would describe the error message?

When we turn the power to the furnace off and back on, the furnace starts up again and the red light turns green but it doesn't stay on for more than 5-10 mins and the indicator light turns yellow and then red before shutting off after the temperature in the house increases only about 1 degree......then I go through the whole process again, lift hose and drain water, turn the power off and on to reset the furnace. If I do this regularly for an hour or so, the temperature eventually gets upto 20 degrees celsius and then the furnace stays on for longer durations and cycles on and off without manual intervention (at least less so)!

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanksfor your consideration

It's cold in Toronto.......Cheers.

Faizel
      In side the furnace where the water drains out, it builds up a little water there. there is a pressure that will turn off the fire if the water builds up a little. That why when you drain it the unit will fire back up.
      You need to get that drain working right and it sounds like that will fix your problem. I have seen this happen many times Take all the hoses off going into the furnace, run something small into the fitting to make sure they are clear. Paul

Comment

thanks paul. Much appreciated!

if i don't drain the water but turn the furnace off/on, it fires back up. Is this consistent with what you would expect to happen. Also, yesterday after getting the temperature in the home upto around 20 celsius, we didn't exerience the problem again until overnight. We woke up to a freeezing cold house. It's almost like it has a mind of its own!

Comment

Faizella, not sure if the condensate/drain is directly related to your observation about recycling the power to your furnace. But, you should still make sure that it's draining cleanly. There are numerous pressure/condensate sensors that will interrupt the heating cycle. A faulty drain would likely trip a sensor.

I'll post a response later wrt to the indicator lights.

Do you hear the inducer/venter motor at the beginning of the heating cycle?

Comment

thanks jovecana. yes we do hear the inducer/ventor. I ended up finding the manual. The 8 lights represent the burners shutting off 5 times during the cycle and then the furnace shuts off for an hour.

Comment

I've checked and cleaned all drains from the furnace. There are some days when the furnace seems to operate normally for hours and then it will go into a continuous period of lockouts after 15-30 mins max. The 8 flasing LED lights indicate a problem that might be related to the gas valve. The furnace technician indicated the problem is likely related to either the flame sensor or gas valve (hunch). I've replaced the flame sensor and it did not solve the problem - before trying to replace the gas valve, is there something I can check to ensure the gas valve is not functioning properly? I noticed there is a part called the "control, flame roll-out". Does anyone know what that does? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Faizel

Comment

Working...
              X
              =