Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HVAC install question

Hi, I recently had a new heat pump and air handler installed. There were some issues that the reputable deal fixed, however I can still detect a few leaks at the fron panels of the air handler installed in my laundry room closet. There also appears to be a healthy leak that pulls smoke horizontally right around the side of the unit which certainly concerns me. Three neighbors with recent installs have no leaks, and I am concerned about effeciency and controlling dust (if leaks bypass the filter). Am I being a nervous nellie or is this a legit concern? What is the expectation for a new high effeciency unit (regardless of mfr)? The dealer talked about aluminum tape on the phone, however it seems really wrong for a brand new and my my estimation sizable investment.

Aluminized tape or regula duct tape is used to seal the abnormalities in how the joints line up. The majority of air is sealed with s cleats and the "drives" but the ends leaves holes. Duct tape will take care of these.

Comment

The air handler barely fits in the closet (in fact it rubs the wall and makes it rumble at high speed)- how will they seal the leak on the side? This appears to be the largest of the leaks. I also still don't understand why three neighbors do not have any leaks with just the standard gaskets on their handlers. We have taken matches (all electric units) to each and the smoke just drifts around in their closets but mine finds the leaks and is sucked in. All were installed in the past 6 months.

Comment

there is a product called MOR-T-ITE. It is a very sticky putty that seals holes and never dries out. Another product called DUCT SEAL does the same thing. if you can get to the joint from inside these two products will work.

Comment

HayZee - awesome - that will work for another project I have my sights on. Thanks!

Comment

Thumb gum or cork tape will work

Comment

Working...
            X
            =