Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold air during defrost. What is wrong?

Hello,

So I recently had IAQ stat(9421) + EIM installed. I have an all electric heat pump + air handler (1 cool 2 heat):

Air handler:
    Product # FC4BNF036000AEAA
    Model # FC4BNF036

HEAT PACKAGE (10KW):
    KFAEH2201H10

Heat pump:
    Product # 697CNX030000ABAA
    Model # 697CN030-B

My heat pump system looks to be similar to the HVAC system described in the post titled "Heat pump not defrosting".

Heating and the stat work ok, but I have noticed that, during defrost, cool air is blown from the registers.

Both "emergency heat" and "aux." heat work ok.

Manually setting stat to "em heat", in which case outdoor unit is off or raising stat's setpoint a few degrees, in which case both het pump and heat strips are on.

Could someone help figure out what could be wrong (may be 1 wire was missed to be wired)?

My condensing unit is not equipped with outdoor thermostat.

What I don't understand is this:

How does the air handler board "know" to activate backup heat during defrost?

On the air handler board, there is W2D terminal (defrost input from outdoor unit).

There is also w2T terminal on the control board - it's used to activate emergency heat or auxiliary heat.

What I don't understand is how does the signal for defrost is processed by the air handler's control board and how should the wiring be set up for it to activate emergency heat during defrost.

From outdoor unit, W1 wire goes up to W2D terminal on the board.

From the EIM, Aux wire goes to w2T on the board.

Should there be another wire from EIM "Aux" terminal to the board w2D?

Thank you!

My Bryant works as you would want it to. That is... Even when the outdoor unit initiates a defrost cycle, the air coming out of my handler stays warm. The only possible answer to "How?" is that the resistive strips are energized. That much is easy.

It's been a while since I've been inside my system (knock on wood!! ), but if I recall correctly, there's no defrost signal between the indoor and outdoor units, so my indoor unit does not know that the outdoor unit is in defrost mode. The indoor unit knows it's in HEAT mode, but it doesn't know that the outdoor unit has switched to defrost.

So..... I've got two theories...

First theory is that the indoor unit knows it's in HEAT mode, and the temperature of the indoor coil (or the air coming off it) is colder than it should be, so the handler assumes that the outdoor unit is in defrost, and energizes the resistive strips accordingly.

Second theory, of course, is that I made a mistake in my reverse engineering, and there really IS a defrost signal between the two.

One other idea for you is that maybe the cold air coming off your indoor coil is simply overpowering your resistive strips, or maybe not all of your strips are working. Have you measured the resistance of the strips and verified that they are all in good shape?

Please keep in mind that I'm no heat pump expert!!!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =