Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy Plus Feature

The Economy Plus feature is a somewhat misunderstood feature. It was originally meant to help with the use of off grid electrical systems. By allowing the temperature to run 12 degrees over the set temperature before shutting off, the stove would not cycle as much. This would keep the major power use (the igniter) off longer. The igniter is on for the first 6 or 8 minutes drawing 344 watts. If you were using a battery and inverter system this is a very large draw. By keeping the start cycles down you save battery power. The stove only requires about 65 watts to run, but three or four time as much to start up. The feature also allows the stove to run on Low for most of the cycle. This allows a longer time running, avoiding the start up period.

Even if you don’t have an off grid system you can get a lot out of the Economy Plus feature. By running on low for a long period the stove avoids the very hot “High” portion of the cycle. This is very helpful in keeping down the heating and cooling of all the metal components. This heating and cooling causes warping of the burner ring, one of the main causes of service calls. By using the Economy feature you can prolong your maintenance periods.

You will need to experiment with the feature a little before you make the decision to use it all the time. In the case of my house the heater (M441) comes on and runs on Low for two hours, heating up from 62 to 74 degrees. The stove is then off for another two hours while the temperature drops from 74 back down to 62. The cycle starts over again as soon as the room reaches 62. As you can see there is a large swing in room temperature. Some people might not like this large swing in temperature. If that is the case this feature is not for you. If you have a heater in the garage you will have to confirm that the Low burn will allow the temperature to rise to 12 degrees over the set temp. In the case of my shop this does not work. My Toyostove Laser 30 can not raise the temperature above 62 when the weather is really cold (0 to – temps). If I had the next bigger stove M422 or Oil Miser 22 this system would work just fine.

Monitor 422 and 441 will run up 12 degrees over the set temp using the Economy Plus. Monitor 2200 and 2400 will only go 10 degrees over as does the Laser 30 and OM 22 Toyo heaters.

Stay warm,

Tom
Working...
X
=