Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor heaters

I have looked backwards in several posts for parts from McMaster-Carr. Here's what I found:
    8813K11, 8838K2, 9323K21, Rutland cement #77 and #641
    Bearings for the combustion blower are an 8mm bore, #608Z double sealed
    Look on Page 6 thread: Monitor Heater Pics, author: Troy
    Also look below some more pics I found

Comment

8813K11 is gasket material 1/8 thick 1 inch wide
      8838K23 is burner mat material .040 thick 1 foot x 40 inches long - $11.40
      9323K21 is more gasket material

Comment

HayZee518 thanks for the two previous posts. I too had been looking back at other threads trying to compile information, but all the information being in the same thread will make it much easier.

Thought I'd also post that I found sealed 608ZZ bearings on ebay in case anyone else needs some, the seller is tgm_skateboards. They have 8 sealed 608ZZ bearings for $4.99 with free shipping which is the cheapest I was able to find. While looking on ebay for monitor parts someone had 2 fan bearings listed for $19.95. Quite a difference in the price!!

How often do you have to change the burner mat using the burner mat material from McMaster-Carr. Every year, 2 years, 3 years or longer?
        Last edited by FordMan59; 12-29-2011, 03:47 AM.

Comment

The new burner pot with burn mat, flame ring and gaskets for my 422 came yesterday. Just hoping the Monitor will make it though the winter without any problems so I can tear into it this spring and replace everything so it will be running at 100% next winter. Everything was bought from Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC for $193.45 including shipping to KY. They sell on ebay under the user name hhgconline or their phone number is 1-800-607-0452. Other parts suppliers were quoting $300+ for these parts.
          Last edited by FordMan59; 12-29-2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I did a web search on Hickory and the site came up but using the keyword monitor - it listed zero

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
              I did a web search on Hickory and the site came up but using the keyword monitor - it listed zero
              I couldn't find the Monitor parts on their web site either, but they do have them. That's the reason I listed their phone number in case anyone wanted to call for pricing or place an order. I also ordered a 1/8"x16"x10' roll of gasket material and a 1'x3' piece of burner mat material from McMaster-Carr today. Thought I should go ahead and order it so I could use the new gaskets as patterns for making more for future use. 10' roll of gasket material and 1 foot of burner mat material was only $35.64, less than the cost of 1 new burner mat buying original Monitor parts.
              Last edited by FordMan59; 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I took the combustion fan motor out of my 422 tonight and confirmed that there's a rubber plug to remove to oil the bushing in the combustion motor. Does the circulation fan have a rubber plug for oiling or does it have bearings that would need to be replaced? If it has bearings does it also use 608ZZ bearings? Thinking while I'm working on it in the spring I might as well do everything.
                Last edited by FordMan59; 02-01-2012, 03:26 AM.

Comment

nobody I know ever had to rebuild the circulation fan motor. but if you take it apart look in the seal part. there should be a number - ndk or something like it. the number is inter changeable with other bearings [timken, sdf, fafnir, etc]

Comment

40's and 41's circulation fan has the same bearings in it as in the combustion motor. Had to re-do several after a flood several years ago.

Comment

If the bearings in the circulation fan aren't in the habit of needing changing I'll just let them go for now and hope for the best. They are still running quietly, so I guess it goes back to the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Comment

They very seldom need replacing as they are not subjected to moisture. But if you have to it is not a big deal 20 min. max.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryand View Post
                          They very seldom need replacing as they are not subjected to moisture. But if you have to it is not a big deal 20 min. max.
                          Thanks for that information. Since mine aren't making any abnormal noises and they seldom go bad I'll just skip them for now. I was just thinking while I was working on it and since the bearings are cheap I might go ahead and replace them.
                          Last edited by FordMan59; 02-02-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I read in another thread the thermistor was a 10K @ 77* device. I'm not at all familiar with thermistors and was wondering if someone could do some research and provide a link to the exact product I'd need to make another thermistor wire for the 422 I bought for my son. The previous owner of the heater cut the original wire and spliced in a piece to make it longer and did a poor job of it and only left a very small amount of wire attached to the thermistor. I'd like to get a new thermistor and some wire and make a new temperature control wire before installing it into his house. I would be very appreciative of anyone who can provide a link to what I need. By the way the heater I bought off ebay for my son is running great!

Comment

a thermistor as used in the heater is a negative temperature device. as room temperature goes up, the resistivity of the device goes down and vice versa. I checked out a site and a 10K device seems correct for this application. check with allied electronics or mouser electronics for a specific device. personally I have found that the smallest gauge telephone wire [26 ga] provides the least resistance to the device and works as an extension. I have about 15 feet between my thermistor and the heater. if you have enough of a stub to solder to, use the original device.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518, I always know you'll come though if no one else does.
                                Last edited by FordMan59; 02-02-2012, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =