Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerosene Dye

I have been working on heaters for about 25 years and have seen filters freeze but we recently had our coldest spell in many years. In places wind chill was 43 below. With that said I had numerous heaters that the filters formed a red jelly looking coating on the outside of the cartridge. I had one I put a new cartridge in and before I could get it bled it had jelled again. Tank is sitting good tilted to the back and have never had a issue with water in this tank before. I am being told it is the dye in the kerosene that is jelling not the kerosene. I know there are heaters in other places that see these type temps. just wondering if it is a problem anywhere else or if it could be a fuel issue. It was not just random cases it was wide spread. I have attached a picture of one of the filters. I have since then had 3 heaters sut up. No issue with burner ring, burner cloth or combustion blower. Just wondering if it is something to do with the dye jelling.
    Attached Files

Red Dye

Red dye has been nothing but a pain since it was introduced. I have not had it gel on me, but I stopped using my outside tank years ago. In my neck of the woods, the quality of the fuel has deteriorated badly. Sump filters need continual attention. Space heaters are almost not worth having, as the wicks start to deteriorate within hours. Good luck with your problem. There might be too much dye in the kero, but I really don't know. I am sure that the endeavor to achieve and maintain a minimum standard has a lot to do with it. Good luck. The weather should break soon.

Comment

kerosene

google kerosene and look up the msds work sheet.
      see at what temperature it starts to gel. I think I've read 22 below zero.
      diesel fuel is a lot earlier than dyed or undyed kero.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =