Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new owner

Hi all I am a new owner of a used 441.. when we first fired it up it ran great on high all night getting up to temp. in the morning I started lowering the temp to a comfortable setting and thats when the problems started. it keeps shutting down, my monitor guy cleaned the flamerod and showed me how to do it. and it worked for a few hours but then started shutting down again. now I keep cleaning but it works a short while then shuts down. I don't get any error messages just the flashing power bars and 8888 on the digital readout. the monitor guy wants to do a complete tear down which I am sure it needs, but i really don't have the cash for that right now. just had it and the fuel tank installed for a big chunk. anyway I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to nurse it through the rest of the winter..

your Monitor is shutting down due to a plenum overheat. thats the reason the 88:88 is flashing. To reset it unplug the unit wait a few minutes then plug it back in. That'll reset the computer. Just pressing the on-off won't cut it, power goes straight to the microprocessor even with the on-off button OFF. The flamerod doesn't have to be spotless in appearance. It naturally "soots" up first time the heater is used. I would check it location when the unit is running. You can see it through the view port. It should be approx center between the burner ring and the sidewall. you can change the position of it a little be loosening the top or bottom screw a little then tightening the opposite screw. another thing to check is the rubber tubing coming off the air proving switch for cracks. it measures the air velocity between the blower and the pot. it has a microswitch on it that is wired in series with the burner control on the microprocessor.

Comment

what exactly does a plenum overheat mean? I took off the brass door on the front with the view window on it and looked in it. I saw a lot of carbon everywhere.. i mean thick carbon about 1/4 inch in places.. what would happen if I scraped it off the sides and let it fall to the bottom? then sand down the sides of the pot where all the little holes are?

Comment

oh Wow! that soot has got to go! take the top cover off the combustion pot and clean out - vacuum out all that carbon! the holes just below the burner ring have to be clear of all carbon and soot! this is where the air comes out and mixes with the kerosene vapors and burns. the plenum overheat switches are mounted on the sheet metal cover OVER the heat exchanger. when the heat exchanger gets too hot the switches open and the unit locks out. the soot buildup inside is acting like a heat insulator. take out the flamerod and clean it off with some solvent. you could use #600 sandpaper to clean it up too.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =