Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane water heater vs. Electric

My propane water heater is 15 years old and I figure its time to replace it. I have a propane furnace and range. The price of propane has SKYROCKETTED to $3.20 a gallon. Im thinking I should replace the water heater with a 50 gallon electric. I know its not as efficient, but at these gas prices Ive got to something to lower my gas bill. So should I go electric on my new water heater?

the choice is yours. the recovery rate is way below that of a propane and oil fired burner.

Comment

Electric is actually 100% efficent in that all the heat is delivered from the heating element to the water.

It does not heat as quickly and so you must generally have a larger tank for the some amount of gph out put.

If you have a old propane heater I would sugest a new high efficancy model 90%+ on demand system you would see a savings over normal propane or electric as somwe of your largest loss is just stand by loss keeping 50 Gallons of water hot.

You may want to do a cost comparison based on your power rate vs a high efficancy gas. then decide if the highefficancy gas is worth the extra upfont money.

Comment

Originally posted by rmw View Post
        Electric is actually 100% efficent in that all the heat is delivered from the heating element to the water.
        Efficiency and cost are 2 different things...
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

If I can figure out if the electric water heater is just a little cheaper the gas is OUT. The price for LP at $3.30 a gallon is highway robbery.

Comment

Where are you located?

In some areas of the country heat pump water heaters can work quite well.
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
              Where are you located?

In some areas of the country heat pump water heaters can work quite well.
              Im in the western NC mountains. We have some pretty cold winters. Are you talking about the same heat pumps that are used to heat homes?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =