Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Water Tank Problem- Getting SOME hot Water. HELP!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Tank Problem- Getting SOME hot Water. HELP!

I just moved in to a place where the hydro and water had been disconnected for about a year. When I started everything up again, the hot water would only be hot for 30 seconds to a minute.

It seems like the heating elements are working, as we are getting SOME hot water.

A weird thing is that when the hot water runs out, it doesn't just go cold, the water flow goes down to almost nothing.

Another weird thing, if you turn on the cold water, sometime there will be hot water that comes out for a short period. Also if there is anything dripping, even if it is the cold water that is dripping, it will drip hot water. Not cold.

I dunno what to do besides buy a new hot water tank. Is there anything else I can try??

Is the valve going into the hot water tank all the way open? It sounds like it's only partially filling the tank. And it's not the hot water that's running out, but all the water from that source.

Comment

water heater

see if there is a stuck check valve in the cold water supply. cold water is supposed to be channelled down through a plastic dip tube to the bottom of the tank. initially the upper element comes on first then when it is satisfied, the contacts switch so the bottom element comes on. since hot stratifies to the top, you'll get a blast of hot water first until that runs out and the bottom element won't shut off unitl it's satisfied. the check valve is supposed to prevent backflow due to the expanded hot water at the tank top.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =