Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Main Low Pressure???

We are about to get connected to the Municpal water line, and keep our well for houses and such...

We just found out the Water Main on our street, we live a top a hill, is only about 35psi.

What can we expect for our own water pressure after installing a 1'', feed from the main into the house.

Will it be acceptable?

35 PSI isn't much and I don't really have any solution for you there. Perhaps some type of booster pump can be installed because I don't think that you are going to be happy with 35 PSI at all.

The water company will probably require that you have a check valve (back flow prevention valve) installed on your line. If your well pump system is attached to same line and operating, it can easily over pressure the city water and never let any city water past that valve. I'd recommend putting your city and well water on two completely separate lines. The water company will still insist on this valve no matter what you do until you get rid of the well all together. That's usually their policy.

I hope that this helps a little. Good luck!

Comment

If you connect to the city water line you will have to disconnect the well system,,the plumbing code prohibits inter connecting municipal and private water systems.

Comment

No disrespect intended but my city and well lines are the same with only the check valve separating them. The only requirement that the county enforced was the check valve. Each municipality is probably different. You'll have to check you city codes.

Comment

I actually mistyped, all I want the well for is the outside hose lines, the well line will be capped off, then I am running pvc to the outside water lines for lawn watering, car washing etc...

I was really just curious as to if the water main pressure if 35psi, what would my internal water pressure be like.

Our well pushed out 28-40 psi now, so if it would be in that range, I will be ok.

Comment

Again, everybody's rules are different but where I live, if you have an active well on your property, regardless if it's attached to your city line or even if it doesn't go into your house, they make you install the back flow prevention valve. Their rule is that simple. If you have a well, you need that valve or they will not supply you city water.

My well runs between 40 and 65 PSI. That's where I have the pressure switches (low & high) set. I use it for some sprinklers around the house but nothing that goes too far out in the yard. I don't think that my well pump could handle multiple long runs of grass sprinklers unless I kept it down to a few sprinkler heads at a time. You might do fine. Your pump might have a better head capacity than mine and be able to maintain better pressure. I run a large hose about 200 feet to my garden and if that is all I'm watering at the time, the pressure is fine. Maybe doing some tests yourself with some hoses can help you get a better feel for how it will work out for you.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =