Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tub spout leaks at base (and another related question)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub spout leaks at base (and another related question)

Tried to fix one problem and created another....

Our shower has been squealing after being in use for a good minute or two, and the squealing will go away when the water pressure is lowered, but I was reading about how I could have a bad washer causing the problem and was investigating today in hopes of fixing it. Decided to look at the tub spout as well (this is completely new territory for me) and removed it first by loosening the screw on the underside. Pulled it off to reveal the copper piping that has some buildup around it. Realized after looking at the spout that this is likely not the source of my problem, I put it all back together as is, changed out the shower head (in case its just deposit buildup causing the squeal) and turned on the faucet. When I pulled up the diverter I immediately noticed water dribbling out from the base of the spout where it touches the tub wall.

Removed the spout again, put my finger over the copper pipe to act as a diverter and ran the shower - no leaks - so the pipe is fine. I guess I just somehow broke my spout by removing it??? I dont fully understand the inner workings of it, but does this sound possible?? I used some steel wool and cleaned off the gunk around the pipe but I have not reconnected the old spout since having done so. Next step would be to replace the spout and hope for the fix so I can get back to seeing if my shower is done squealing. Thought I would ask here first before I run out and spend money on it. If I'm going to replace the spout I'm thinking I'll go ahead and update the rest of the faucet as well.

And as a related question - the hole that was cut in the tub around the copper pipe is quite a bit larger than the pipe itself - is that meant to be left open? Seems like if the tub spout failed (as I'm assuming mine has) the water is going to go straight back into the wall and could potentially cause a major problem.

tub

the spout and diverter is above the drain plug linkage and overflow pipe so there should be no water inside the wall.
    Pull off the spout and look inside and see if there is or should be an "O" ring that seals the spout to the copper pipe.

If you have a delta type of faucet, pull the guts out and replace the two rubber seats as well as their respective springs.

Comment

A new tub spout can be found at any hardware store you need a push on version NOT a threaded one. It will be quicker and easier just to replace it at around $10
      Oh and for the squeal, it could well be caused by the diverter not sealing correctly in the tub spout.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for that. The worry I have about water getting inside the wall is that given that the hole in the shower/tub stall is quite larger than what was needed to allow room for the copper pipe to go through, if one were to have a faulty spout (as I clearly do) the leaking water could definitely push back through the spout when the diverter is up and into the wall through the enlarged hole. I saw someone recommending it be filled with caulking for small areas but Im thinking there must be some sort of encasement I can put around the pipe to cover up the hole. Might ask at the hardware store when I go to get the new spout.

Comment

If the hole is an issue for you, fill it with caulk (100% silicon), do not let anyone talk you into anything else, there is a certain amount of flexibility that needs to be there.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

wall leaks

in addition to what pushkins said above, please take a look at the following site.
            It has low profile escutcheon plates.

Escutcheons, hole covers, smitty plates, shower arm wall plates

Comment

I saw this problem solved on the tv show ask "this old house". It was caused by the diverter. Go to the web site and search "shower squealing". Also make sure the copper for the spout isn't pitted. If not clean good with steel wool and replace the spout, push on type. You can but replacement parts for the diverter. But the oem not the cheap after market parts.

Comment

Thank you for the link to that site, Hayzee- I will do some measuring and see if any of those will fit nicely with the new tub spout!

I did get a new spout which is undeniably a better quality, and after pushing it on there doesnt appear to be any leaks. Maybe I am being overly cautious but I do still worry about that hole, which can not be filled with silicone caulking, it's just too big. The neighborhood big box store employee looked at me like I had two heads when I explained what I was looking for and why. Apparently no one has this concern? I just really dont want to caulk around the spout, and find out the hard way that my spout has failed somehow and the water went back into the wall.

Thanks again, Hayzee - I'll see if one of those escutcheons will do the trick!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =