Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting off water to house

In the past when we have left the house on vacation for a few weeks, I have gone around the house and secured the water valves to each toilet, sink, icemaker, dishwasher, washer, etc... I am always worried about something rupturing while no one is home... It never occured to me that I could do the same thing with one valve at the water entry point to the house... Is this an accepted way to secure water to a house for several weeks... a neighbor said that de-pressurizing the entire house and then turning it back on at a later date is more dangerous to the system and pressure regulating valve than doing each item individually at the wall shut off.. Opinions??

I am certainly not the expert here, so I will defer to someone who is; but, turning off the main valve at the entrance to the house is the way I do it. I also shut off the water heaters. When I return, I do turn the main valve on very slowly.

Comment

Oh yes! turning it off like that will anger the Gods and cause retribution on yourself and all your progeny! Seriously just what do you think it will do? nothing!, turn it off, and then turn it on when your home as a test and see if anything happens, don't slam it off and on, nice and easy, the only thing that might happen if your toilet flapper leaks by is it will make up, otherwise zilch,

Comment

I would shut off the main valve, shut off the water heater, then open all faucets. That relieves the pressure for one. The other is if there's a chance of freezing no pipes will burst. If something goes wrong with the main valve all you end up with is a high water bill. But at least you won't have a high bill AND house damage. There will be no damage from turning a valve like that on and off.

Comment

If there is a chance of freezing all the water must be removed or RV type anti-freeze added, removal means blowing out the lines with air, Any water in pockets can and will pop a fitting or split the copper pipe. Repaired many vacation homes where inadequate preparation by a Sunday plumber left water in the lines, but what the hey! it made me some money, RV anti-freeze in the traps and don't forget the washing machine and dishwasher too, forgetting them will cost an expensive service call. Also in freezing temperatures the water meter must be drained or it will pop the freeze plate and that annoys the Water department to the tune of a couple of hundred bucks for a replacement meter.
          Last edited by akaothermick; 12-22-2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, the water heater will be full of water before and after turning off the main valve. Turning it off will lower your light bill. If you were to drain the water heater, you would definitely want to turn it off so you don't burn out the heating element (electric heaters).

Comment

All good points....things I had not considered.... Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =