Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasco fiberglass shower base repair

Does anyone know where I can get a Lasco repair kit for a Lasco shower? I feel the original unit never had been supported correctly, now I have to make some type of repair. I used to get the material from a plumbing supply call Fergusons but I moved and the suppiers in the area don't seem to know what I'm talking about. I'm currently trying to get in contact with a Lasco representative but no luck yet.

Help

Joe Lambing

Joe

Is it cracked?

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

ferguson

ferguson is a very shotty supply house i suggest you try some others such as plumbers supply co 6 locations in the st louis area and they carry repair kits for lasco and also have a authorized lasco repairman they could put you in contact with. i know because i work at one of their locations 8 yrs. experience

Comment

The materials and techniques used to construct fiberglass tubs and showers is exactly the same as those used to construct fiberglass boats and automobile bodies.

Believe it or not, the first step in building a fiberglass product is to paint it. Sounds rediculous but its true.

Fiberglass products are made in a mold. They begin by installing any decals or pin stripping on the interior of the mold, then the interior of the mold is painted with a product called "Gel Coat" which makes the smooth polished exterior finish of the end item. Once the Gel Coat has cured the mold is then sprayed with a resin material and fiberglass cloth, matting or chopped fiberglass is layed in and additional coats of the resin is sprayed in until they achieve the thickness of the final product. The mold is then set aside until the resin has cured to the final hardness of the finished product. When the product has cured an air line is attached to a nozzle on the bottom of the mold and air is blown in to separate the finished item from the mold and the item is lifted out then the mold is sent back to repeat the process.

As a result, fiberglass is without a doubt the easiest of all tub and shower materials for the laymen to repair. You can buy a fiberglass repair kit at any "marine supply store" or most Automotive parts stores.

The kits will have a can of resin and a small tube of liquid hardener, a small supply of fiberglass cloth and a basic supply of "Gel Coat" along with an assortment of color pigments that can be mixed to produce the final color required then added to the Gel Coat material.

To make a repair you begin by sanding the damaged area to remove the Gel Coat finish about 1 to 2" on all sides around the crack or damaged area. You then mix a small quantity of the resin and hardener per the instructions in the package and apply the liquid to the area to be patched. Strips of the fiberglass cloth are then laid over the area and additional resin is applied repeating this step until you get the desired buildup. Allow the resin to harden then sand smooth. Note:The resin hardens as a result of chemical reaction with the hardener in the same manner as a two part expoxy glue. You can expect it to feel very warm as it cures. You must also work quickly because the resin will harden in just a few minutes. If you can access the underside it is also a good idea to apply additional glass buildup on the underside of the damaged area.

Once the fiberglass cloth and resin have cured you then cover the repair with the Gel Coat Finish material (See instructions in the kit).

The pigments in the kit can be added to the Gel Coat material to match the desired finish color then the gel coat in applied over the cloth patch, smoothed out carefully and allowed to cure. Once the gel coat has cured you buff it will extrmely fine emery cloth or even rubbing compound to bring the surface to the desired lustre.

Heres a tip. If you would prefer to hire someone to make the repair for you look for a boat or auto body mechanic that if familiar with fiberglass repairs. If you have any friends who are into custom cars as a hobby they may be able to help you out with this one.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =