Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky shower head

How do I fix a leaky shower head? I assume it's the same as fixing a leaky faucet where you have to replace the washers in the faucet, but with mine I can't get the faucet handle off. This is a shower stall without a bathtub and the faucets are held in place with a single screw. When I remove the screw, I can't pull the handle off. I put a screwdriver behind to use as a wedge, but when I pull too hard I can hear that I'm pulling on the plumbing inside the wall and banging it up against the wall so I don't want to apply too much pressure. I guess my first question is am I barking up the right tree? Is that where I need to be looking in order to fix the leak? I've already replaced the shower head itself and that didn't fix it. Second question, if I am barking up the right tree what's the trick to removing the handles without putting too much pressure on the plumbing behind the wall. The handles look pretty old so I'm assuming they've been on there for quite some time.

If the shower head leaks, your on the right track. Handle pullers are cheap and availible at most home improvememt stores or plumbing supplys.

<center></center>

Comment

Thanx a bunch. Once I get the handle off, will I then see a washer that I need to replace? Are they pretty standard to where I can get the washer at the same time I'm at the store buying the handle puller, or will I need to pull the handle off first and then take the washer back to the store in order to get the correct one?

Comment

All depends on what brand valve your working on. What does it look like. Single handle, 2, 3? Is there a brand name stamped on the plate or handles?

Tip: I rarely replace just washers and O-rings anymore. It's best to replace the stems and seats in my professional opinion.

Comment

I've never actually done this before, but I'm a little handy so I feel comfortable attempting it. Do I have to shut off the main water supply when doing this since it's not like a sink where you have a shut off valve underneath?

Comment

Working...
          X
          =