Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with shower head

Hope that I can explain this clearly.

I have a bathtub that has two handles (hot & cold) on either side of a faucet and a shower-head that sticks out of the wall above.

To use the shower-head, you have to turn on the water and pull up on a knob that's ontop of the faucet.

My problem. When I turn on the hot&cold water, a few seconds later water begans flowing from the shower-head even though I haven't pulled up on the knob.

It started a couple of months ago with a trickle but now heavy.

Help! How can I fix it?

Is this knob on top of the spout that the water comes out of. If it is then this is your shower divertor valve. You can replace it very easy. If you have copper pipes then there will be a small allen screw underneath the spout. Loosen it up and the spout will slip off from the front. If you have galvanized pipes then you will have to remove the spout by turning the entire spout counter-clockwise to unthread it from the pipe. Take the old one with you to the hardware store and buy on the same.

Comment

I had a feeling that I wasn't going to explain everything just right.

Kactuskid, the faucet, hot/cold handles, and the shower divertor valve are a one piece unit.

I took a mirror and checked for the small allen screw. No screw, but it did have a hole with what looked like a black rubber covering.

I'm wondering if I just need to replace the whole unit. Do you think this will fix the leak?

Comment

I wish I could tell you, but I can't picture the unit you have. What is the make or model of your faucet. It's not usually necessary to replace the entire faucet to repair the divertor valve.

Comment

Look like this? Or one of these? http://www.plumbingsupply.com/info-tubspouts.html

Comment

With some rare exceptions. almost all tub spouts are the screw on type now. If they are on copper lines, the internal copper stub out will have a MIP (Male Iron Pipe) thread adapter on the end. The proper method of installing the tub spout is to put a liberal layer of teflon tape on the threads then screw the spout on. If that was done the old spout should turn off with a little effort. If they did not put the teflon on the threads odds are the threads are now corroded and almost welded together so when you unscrew the old spout you may damage the stub out. I dont say that to scare you because normally replacing the spout is a fairly easy job, but be aware that the possiblity exists. If you do happen to mess up the stub, simply cut it off and solder on a new piece.
            As was stated in an earlier post, it is best to take the old spout to the store with you to match it up because there are differing internal lengths for the stub out. some 2 inches, some 4 inches and occasionally you see a 5 1/2 inch stub out.
            When installing your new spout be very carefull not to scratch the chrome finish. Experienced plumbers use slip joint pliers and wrap a rag around the spout to protect the finish. A preferred method and one not as likely to damage the finish is to use a strap wrench, preferrable one of the rubber strap type. Do not over tighten it. given that the internal pipe is open at the spout there is very little likelyhood of a leak so normally all you need is hand tight, then use your wrench for the final quarter turn or so to get the proper alignment. some people elect to run a bead of caulking where the spout meets the backsplash, but that is really not necessary and if your new spout has a slight weep hole on the underside where it attaches to the wall be sure not to plug that hole. The purpose of that hole is in the event the diverter should leak internally, the water will run down the inside of the spout and out the weephole, down the front of the backsplash and into the tub. If it were to leak and that hole is obstructed the water will be forced to go back inside the wall and will cause serious damage to ceilings below the tub.

Comment

Sometimes right above the spout is a plate you can remove, you can check there to see if the is something that has gotton out of adjustment. Im not expert but its worth a look I would think.

David longwell

Comment

Working...
              X
              =