Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting PVC to cast iron drain

I'm seriously thinking of adding a half bath to the main floor of my
    house. All the necessary plumbing is located in the perfect area.
    My only delemma is that I'm not too sure how to attach new PVC to
    an old cast iron drain pipe at a right angle. It's very accessable
    in the crawl space, about 4 ft of it, but I could use some help as
    to the best way to tap into it with a new PVC drain line.

You can cut out a section of the cast iron pipe and replace it with PVC of the appropriate size, installing a Sanitary tee in the PVC to allow your tap.
    The preferred method is to cut the cast iron pipe below a hub then remove the cast from the next lower hub. You can then put the bottom end of the PVC into the hub and seal with a rubber hub adapter or use PLUMBERS EPOXY to fill the joint the same way they used to do with lead and oakum. Then attach the new PVC to the cast with a FERNCO cast x PVC adapter.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

You can cut out a section of the cast iron pipe and replace it with PVC of the appropriate size, installing a Sanitary tee in the PVC to allow your tap.
      The preferred method is to cut the cast iron pipe below a hub then remove the cast from the next lower hub. You can then put the bottom end of the PVC into the hub and seal with a rubber hub adapter or use PLUMBERS EPOXY to fill the joint the same way they used to do with lead and oakum. Then attach the new PVC to the cast with a FERNCO cast x PVC adapter.
      Thanks for the info LazyPup, it's been a while since I first posted
      my request, and the bathroom is all done. Tapping into the cast
      iron turned out relatively easy, and everything works great. I'll
      send a picture is anyone is interested.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by AaronJS

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

Thanks for the info LazyPup, it's been a while since I first posted
        my request, and the bathroom is all done. Tapping into the cast
        iron turned out relatively easy, and everything works great. I'll
        send a picture is anyone is interested.
        I would be VERY interested in seeing that. I'm moving a washing machine to the basement, and have two choices for draining it: into a cast iron stack that I know is vented properly; or into a drain in the floor that I have no idea where it goes or if it's vented (although it drains well, even with a lot of water flowing into it).

Thanks!
        Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
        Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =