Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC service through wall

We recently had a well pump replaced. The service line to the house was also replaced. Polyethylene pipe was used , except the servicemen , for some reason, coupled it to a piece of Sched 80 PVC, ran that through our basment wall, and then made a threaded connection to our galvanized piping indoors. This joint is (very slowly) leaking. Is this a standardly used connection? We are very nervous (in light of the fact that the joint is already leaking) that the PVC may get cracked in the future... resulting in a major leak. Any comments on this? Thanks.

Did the installer use teflon tape on the threaded connection? Why are you worried about PVC cracking? PVC is almost as common as mud and well accepted.

Comment

You did not state whether the PVC running though the wall was sleeved or not? The codes require that when you run a pipe through a masonary wall you must first install a sleeve which is a piece of pipe at least to pipe sizes larger and long enough to reach through the wall with 2 or three inches protruding on either side. The desired pipe is then passed through the sleeve and the space between the inside of the sleeve and the outer wall of the desired pipe is filled with expansion foam to seal it.

Some local codes require all undergound piping to be continuous with out joints which accounts for the use of the roll plastic pipe, but the roll pipe is not permitted in exposed areas so that could account for why they converted to the schedule 80 PVC before going though the wall.

Comment

Id call the guy back that put it in "now" .

ED[B)]

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
        My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =