Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough in shower is infront of breaker panel??

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough in shower is infront of breaker panel??

Ok, I just purchased a new construction home that's 99% complete. I close on the deal next week. Problem is the General COntractor wasn't paying attention when the electrition put in the panel. He put directly in front of the roughed in drain for the shower/bath.

He is saying that he doesn't want to do anything about it and he can't blame the plumber because the plumbing was done before the wiring but its too expensive to have the panel moved now. He wants me to buy the house as is.

How big a deal is it to either move the panel or chip out the floor and move the drain? Is this something I should just say fine give me $1000 off the house and I'll do it on my own when I finish that bath or should I hold my guns and not close until he fixes it?

Sorry to sound cranky, here. I get Awful dang excited (aggitated) when somebody (contractor, builder) expects a layout of over a couple hundred grand and expect the buyer to be complacent and accept mediocrity????!!! It's BUILDER's/CONTRACTOR's responsibilty to make sure it all goes together correctly. The purchaser is expected to live with that? I wonder what the inspector will say? But even if it passes....is that the way it's SUPPOSED to be? Someone makes a mistake and you pay for it? I'm sorry, but I don't think I'd be passing along any money untill it's done 'right'. right: (Read "to-your-satisfaction"). Don't let him roll over you. Whether it's the plumber's fault, the elctricians, bricklayers, roofers...it's up to that contractor to correctly bring it all together.
    ........okay.......I'm done.

Comment

Did the Drawings (blue prints) show these locations before they were approved?

Comment

Hube makes a good point, where were they approved to go? It they aren't where the drawings said they went, call a lawyer!
        Try

Comment

Even if the panel was moved, there would still need to be a panel in the existing location to use as a splice box since the cables comming into the house cannot be moved. This would still not allow you to have a bath in this location. The floor would need to be jackhammered up and the drain and water supplies all rerouted. Way more money to do this than $1000.00. If you really want this house then get a couple estimates from local plumbers first or tell the builder to forget it. Don't close the way it is, you'll be regretting it forever.

Comment

I purchased it after it was started it was a spec house. I didn't notice the problem untill my father in law pointed it out. He is a residential carpenter.

I think what I want is for the floor to be chipped out and moved over 3 feet away from the panel. Then i'll put a cabinet in front of the panel that way it helps keep moisture away and is still easy to get too.

It really costs more that a $1000 to move that drain 3 feet?

Comment

Code states that you must maintain an area of free space in front of your electrical panel. This area consist of 30 inches across and 36 inches in front that must remain open, so just keep that in mind when having these drain lines moved.

As for the cost of moving the drains, call around locally, get at least 3 estimates, you may be surprized.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =