Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing code question

My son just bought an old house with a basement toilet and we'd like to add a shower and sink down there as well. There is a floor drain nearby that I could position the shower drain over. Is that acceptable code wise? And if not, who would ever know after it's installed? Since the concrete floor slopes toward the drain I'd be building a new slightly raised floor for this bathroom over the existing concrete so I might have room to put small pvc pipe under the floor so that the sink and shower drains join and go into this floor drain. I just want to do the easiest thing.

I am amazed at the work vdotmatrix has done on his basement shower but I'd hate to think I'd have to attack the floor like he did. I'm just not that brave...I'm paying someone first.

Any suggestions? I could post pics if that would help.

Jim

A shower requires an 1 1/2 drain and a lavatory requires an 1 1/4 minimum, whereas the minimum size of line permitted under slab is 3 inches, so the line should be sufficient. The problem you will encounter is installing traps. Some floor drains have an integral trap feature in the drain outlet, while others have an under floor trap.
    The code requires that each fixture on the line have a separate trap and it prohibits having two traps in series so if you have the underslab type of trap you would have to dig it up, remove the trap and extend the line so you could make separate waste arms and traps to both the shower and lavatory.
    Examine the existing floor drain cover on the underside of the lid. If it has a collar that extends down about two inches and into a water holding area of the receiver it is an integral drain/trap. In that case you could run the line into the existing line below the floor and seal the connection between the old trap body and the new line with plumbers epoxy.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =