Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal Drain

I just renovated my kitchen and stupid me did not check the height of the drain hole in the wall. I have installed an undermount sink that is 8 1/4" from the underside of the counter to the bottom of the sink drain hole. The wall drain hole is 14" centerline from the underside of the counter. However, the BRAND NEW Waste King(9900TC) is 9 3/8" from sink drain to diposal drain centerline(i.e. the disposal drain hole is 3 5/8" lower than the wall drain hole). I can not move the wall drain hole. Is there anyway to defy gravity and use this new disposal, and if not, is anyone aware of a disposal that would fit this situation, either batch or continuous? I am up a tree!!
    ARE

The measurement you have for the Disposal drain opening sound way too far below the sink basket. Are you using the short PVC quater bend (90 deg fitting) that comes supplied in dsposal installation kits? If so that is your problem.

I have worked out some rough figures here and the actual drain port on the disposal itself should be okay. Replace the supplied quarter bend with a section of straight extension tailpiece and your drain should be correct.

You can not defy gravity. You must maintain a 1/4 in per foot pitch downward toward the drain.

The only other alternative would be to open the wall and change the waste arm but that could be a large project.

Comment

well, it would probably be somewhat noisy, but a small version of a laundry ejection pump would work. It's nothing more than a small plastic tank that the diposal would empty into. Inside that plastic box is a small ejection pump, similar to sump pumps. That has a float switch on it that would kick in when the tank level got to a determined level, and shut off when relatively empty. That pump would then be hooked to the drain. Don't know if this is code, though.

Comment

MrCaptainbob,
        While that might be a possible solution I am not certain such a small unit is available and it would be going into a real gray area of code, not to mention it would no doubt be rather expensive.

The alternative would be to take out the back wall of the cabinet, open the wall and lower the waste arm connection, which i am sure would be a lot more cost effective in the end.

Comment

Thank you CaptainBob and LazyPup. You both have me "thinking outside the box". Of course one does not have to use the quarter bend pipe supplied with the disposal. Duh!!! I think the best solution is to get another disposal like the insinkerator 444 where the disposal drain is only 6" (unless anyone knows of a disposal with an even smaller difference) from the top and then use a small elbow or slanted connection to get to the wall drain hole. What do you think? Thanks again!!
          ARE

Comment

Here is an option that should gain about 1.5 to 2 inches.

No doubt you presently have a conventional P-trap that has a downward vertical input.

You might consider cutting the trap adapter off the end of the waste arm and installing a PVC glue on P-trap, then install a Sanitrary 1/4 bend on the input of the p-trap with a new PVC male trap adapter in the quarter bend. That would give you a horizontal drain line input about 1.5 to 2 inches higher.

If you elect to try this be sure to get a two piece PVC glue in p-trap so you could disconnect it for cleanout in future.

Comment

Yeppers! I wasn't a real fan of that even while I was a-typing it! I agree with your solution. What sometimes appears to be a difficult route, is most probably the easiest in the long run, and certainly the most correct.

Comment

I have been doing some checking and the discharge dimension seems to be pretty common. If changing to the pvc trap doesnt do it, the option would be to take the back out of the cabinet, open the wall and lower the waste arm height. That is not a real difficult job and it would be a permanent solution.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =