Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a thinner toilet tank...

Recently rebuilt the main bath, including new flooring which meant taking up the toilet. Note first that the toilet was installed too close to the wall to begin with. Now, over the years as the house has settled and the room has slowly drifted out of vertical square, the toilet and the wall have maintained an uneasy peace. The spud washer - which hasn't been touched in ten years or more - has slowly deformed, keeping leaks from the tank at bay as the tank has been slowly pushed on from the top edge.

When I moved the toilet, I disturbed the status quo, it seems. The old spud washer fell apart in my hands, and with a new washer and flush valve, I can't get the tank bolts tight enough to stop a little tiny leak whenever then toilet is flushed. The tank simply will not line up with the toilet well enough to sit on the spud washer squarely.

So, I figure I've got two options: move the toilet out an inch or so, or get a toilet with a different, narrower tank. Question one: having never worked with an offset flange before, can one of those be added without cutting up the floor and do they work? Question two: do They make toilets with narrow tanks?

Thanks!

- Wm

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

You could install an offset toilet flange if you wanted to, here's a link that'll show you how:

But it would be easier just to buy a new toilet, one with a 10" rough in rather than a 12". If you measure from the back of the wall to the closet bolt notch on your toilet you will normally see it to be 12". That's probably what you have. But, toilets come with this measurement being 10" instead, which would fit in your spot better and then you wouldn't require an offset. The Kohler Wellworth Lite toilet is a great toilet for the money. You can buy them at Home Depot for $99.00 and they come with a Fluidmaster fill valve. They also come with a 3 bolt tank connector which is way easier to level the tank and insure no leaks occur.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

You could install an offset toilet flange if you wanted to, here's a link that'll show you how:

But it would be easier just to buy a new toilet, one with a 10" rough in rather than a 12". If you measure from the back of the wall to the closet bolt notch on your toilet you will normally see it to be 12". That's probably what you have. But, toilets come with this measurement being 10" instead, which would fit in your spot better and then you wouldn't require an offset. The Kohler Wellworth Lite toilet is a great toilet for the money. You can buy them at Home Depot for $99.00 and they come with a Fluidmaster fill valve. They also come with a 3 bolt tank connector which is way easier to level the tank and insure no leaks occur. Just make sure you get a 10" rough in one and not the 12" which is standard.

Comment

Thank you for the link, and the advice. I thought I remembered thinner tanks, but wasn't really sure where to start. Nice that I can just visit the local DIY store instead of a plumbing supply house. How're the Wellworth Lite's for flushing? Water savers, I'm sure, but I've heard that the low-end 1-gal flushies haven't improved much since they were first introduced, that you have to spend some bucks to get a decent water-saver flush.

- Wm

quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

But it would be easier just to buy a new toilet, one with a 10" rough in rather than a 12". If you measure from the back of the wall to the closet bolt notch on your toilet you will normally see it to be 12". That's probably what you have. But, toilets come with this measurement being 10" instead, which would fit in your spot better and then you wouldn't require an offset. The Kohler Wellworth Lite toilet is a great toilet for the money. You can buy them at Home Depot for $99.00 and they come with a Fluidmaster fill valve. They also come with a 3 bolt tank connector which is way easier to level the tank and insure no leaks occur.
        Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.
        Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.

Comment

The Wellworths work great, I have 2 in my home and no problems at all, in fact they're better than most.

Comment

We recently installed 72 of the wellworth toilets during an apartment community rehab and have had no callbacks on any of them. In my opinion they are working fine.

Comment

Thank you, kactuskid and LazyPup. The info is much appreciated! Now let's hope I can get the thing bought and installed before my wife goes into real labor (contractions this morning, yikes!)

- Wm

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

We recently installed 72 of the wellworth toilets during an apartment community rehab and have had no callbacks on any of them. In my opinion they are working fine.
              Mark with a crayon
              Cut with an axe.
              Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
              Cut with an axe.

Comment

Just make sure you get the 10" length instead of the 12" and you'll be fine. Let us know how it goes, and let us know about your newborn to be, how cool.

Comment

Just a quick tip,,when you get the new toilet, be sure to get a new set of toilet mounting bolts and a new water supply line. Nothing is more aggravating than being in the midst of the project and finding a bolt was corroded and broke off..or even worse,,you had to cut it to get it off, then your stuck with no bolts..They are simple too cheap not to plan on replacing them.

Comment

Actually, I'd already bought everything new except seat and fill valve. It wasn't until I got every replaced and in that the problem became apparent. Had to take the toilet apart to lay new linoleum, and when I saw how good a shape the bolts, washers, etc were in (NOT!) I decided to replace everything.

Interestingly enough, when I was at Lowe's today picking up trim I checked with their plumbing department and they don't even offer a 10" rough-in 'cept by special order. I was hoping for one-stop shopping, you know? Just as well though...probably couldn't install it today and there's really no place to store it with the house in the shape it's in.

- Wm

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

Just a quick tip,,when you get the new toilet, be sure to get a new set of toilet mounting bolts and a new water supply line. Nothing is more aggravating than being in the midst of the project and finding a bolt was corroded and broke off..or even worse,,you had to cut it to get it off, then your stuck with no bolts..They are simple too cheap not to plan on replacing them.
                    Mark with a crayon
                    Cut with an axe.
                    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
                    Cut with an axe.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =