Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't make myself clear -- the smell is in the master bathroom, which we use all the time. The bathroom we don't use much is across the hall. Would not using it cause a smell in the master bathroom? The slow-flushing commode is also in the master bathroom.

Thanks for your reply.

sue's house needs fixing

Comment

There are many factors that can result in a sluggish flush. To resolve the problem we must address it in stages.

Step one is to determine if the problem is in the toilet or the drain line.
      Put about 2 gallon of water in a small bucket.
      Quickly pour the water directly into the bowl. Did that flush correctly?
      If yes, the problem is most likely a sluggish discharge of water from the tank to the bowl.
      1.open the tank and check the water level. (there is a water level index line either printed or embossed into the tank wall. If the water level is low, adjust the tank fill valve. (water level is especially critical on water saver toilets.)
      2. trip the flush handle and watch the action of the flush valve (Flapper ball) in the bottom center of the tank. The flapper should lift quickly when the flush handle is depressed. If not, you may need to either adjust the handle to flapper chain length or you may need to replace the flapper ball. (about a $2 part)
      3. on the underside of the bowl lip there is a series of small holes where the water enters the bowl. Make sure all those holes are open and there is a good flow of water through them when the toilet is flushed.

IF THE FLUSH WAS SLUGGISH WHEN YOUR POURED THE WATER IN THE TOILET the problem is a partial obstruction in the toilet trap or the drain line.

A foreign object such as a tooth brush caught in the toilet trap can be the most elusive to find.
      Begin by snaking the toilet with a "closet auger". ( A closet auger is a short hand operated snake that has a J shaped tubular frame to guide the snake into the toilet trap as the handle is rotated.) Rotate the control handle quickly as you feed the snake into the toilet bowl trap.
      After snaking with the closet auger try flushing again to see if the problem is cleared.
      If the problem still exists you will have to turn off the water to the toilet tank, flush the tank to drain the water out, then pull the toilet. Once you have the toilet lifted, examine the discharge port and trap from the underside to see if there is any foreign object caught in the trap. If so, remove the object and reset the toilet. (You will need a new wax ring to reset the toilet).

If this has not resolved the problem you will have to clean the waste line and the vent stack with a powered auger fitted with the appropriate cutter, either 3 or 4 inch depending on the size of the toilet waste arm line.

The smell of sewer gasses is often associated with a sluggish flush.

In a normal flush, the water enters the trap and drain line as a big slug, almost like a piston moving through the line. The air in the line is pushed ahead of the water slug and is relieved by going up the waste vent. As the slug of water moves forward in the line it leaves a void behind it, and air is drawn in through the bowl trap to fill the space behind the water. Air continues to enter through the trap until the trap primer on the tank fill valve has refilled the trap, thus the direction of flow is from room air into the toilet and waste system.

When a sluggish flush occurs, the waste arm is only partially filled with water. The water in the trap is pulled out by the momentum of the flowing water. As the water now flows downstream in the pipe sewer gases can flow upstream from the waste pipes across the top of the water flow and on into the room through the open trap until the trap is refilled.

Comment

OK, now I really, really need help. My smell got so bad that I bit the bullet and called a plumber. The plumber did find a very small hole in the sewage pipe which was made by a screw used to hang the bathroom mirror. The plumber fixed the hole but said that he really doubted that such a big smell could come from such a small hole. He checked the pipes throughout the house and said that everything else looked fine. For a couple of days, the smell seemed better but now it is back w/ a vengance and my toilet upstairs is now releasing a similar odor when I open the lid. Thoughts, anyone?

Suzanne Smolkin

Comment

What about standing water in the tank? Are you in an area that has water with a high sulphur content? This stuff "suphur" smells like rotten eggs. Won't hurt you but it stinks BAD!

Comment

There is a 3/8 inch gap between the underside of the toilet seat and the bowl, another 3/8 inch gap between the toilet seat and the lid. Those spacing are code minimums to insure ventilation of the bowl therefore raising or lowering the toilet seat should have little to no effect. However, if the toilet seat is covered with a thick pyle type toilet seat cover it tends to obscure the proper ventilation of the bowl, which would trap the odors until the lid is raised.

If your water has a high sulfur content as was previously mentioned, or if there happens to be any concealed waste under the rim of the bowl the problem would be enhanced by the effect of the seat cover.

Comment

Try this ...
              Start in the kitchen.
              If you have a vent on your sink by the hot and cold controls ... take off the cover and place plastic wrap on it so no air can come out or in of it. On mine I pull off a lil cap and put plastic wrap on it and then a paper towel and put the cap back on. I makes a very tight seal.
              EVERY bathroom.
              Take of the cover for the overflow for the sink and tubs! Seal the holes by taping plastic wrap over them so no air goes in or out.
              Fill at least 1/2 way the sinks and tubs for every bathroom with water.
              NEXT ... starting the fartest away from the STINKIN ROOM unleash the water you have stored in the sinks and tubs. Then flush the toilet in the same room. You will want to have a couple of people help you if you have a long way to move to the next batroom or kitchen.
              FINAL ... release the sink, tub and flush the toilet in the STICKY ROOM!
              What you are doing in making sure as much water as possible is flowing through the pipes at once to make sure ANY air gaps in your traps or elsewhere are filled! If the problem continues you most likely have a leak allowing gases to bypass your stink pipes!

PREP TIME - ABOUT 10 MINS
              RELIEF - ABOUT CHAMPANGE TIME

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GridLock

Try this ...
                Start in the kitchen.
                If you have a vent on your sink by the hot and cold controls ... take off the cover and place plastic wrap on it so no air can come out or in of it. On mine I pull off a lil cap and put plastic wrap on it and then a paper towel and put the cap back on. I makes a very tight seal.
                EVERY bathroom.
                Take of the cover for the overflow for the sink and tubs! Seal the holes by taping plastic wrap over them so no air goes in or out.
                NEXT ... starting the fartest away from the STINKIN ROOM unleash the water you have stored in the sinks and tubs. Then flush the toilet in the same room. You will want to have a couple of people help you if you have a long way to move to the next batroom or kitchen.
                What you are doing in making sure as much water as possible is flowing through the pipes at once to make sure ANY air gaps in your traps or elsewhere are filled! If the problem continues you most likely have a leak allowing gases to bypass your stink pipes!

FORGOT TO SAY TO FILL KITCHEN SINK(S) TOO!
                RELEASE AS MUCH WATER AS POSSIBLE AT ONCE IS THE GOAL!

Comment

Try this ...
                  Start in the kitchen.
                  EVERY bathroom.

FORGOT TO SAY TO FILL KITCHEN SINK(S) TOO!
                  RELEASE AS MUCH WATER AS POSSIBLE AT ONCE IS THE GOAL!

BY THE WAY ... THIS IS ASSUMING THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY TRIED RUNNING A SNAKE THRU YOUR PIPES! Sometimes a glog in the vent system in one spot can cause a sewer odor in another area of the house. If you have not done so ... go get a cheap 25' Snake from your hardware store. Snake every toilet tub and sink you can! Then go roof top and snake the vents. THEN do a flush like I said before. The FLUSH creates positive (pushes blockage) and a negative pressure (sucks out blockage) helping to clear your vent lines. Hope this helps you! SNAKE IT!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =