Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting an Acrylic Tub

Hello all,
    I am interested in purchasing an Acrylic Tub from my local Lowes. The tub measures 60" by 42". The space for my tub, between two walls, measures 58". My question is... If treating this tub like a normal piece of acrylic, using a fine tooth blade, at high speed, maybe even a cutting wheel on a dremel tool, could I cut 1" or so off of both ends of the tub, and then hiding the cuts with tile and caulking? I asked the guy at Lowes and he says no, but it just doesn't seem logical that I could not treat it like any other material, just using the proper tools. I know that if it were a fiberglass tub, it would not be a problem, but my wife insists on a "jaquzzi" style tub. And the brands that they carry, for the price, is acrylic. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

It is possible to cut an acrylic tub in the manner you suggest, but i would be very hesitant to do so.

A much better option would be to special order the tub in the dimension you require. Although 60inch is the dimension they commonly carry in stock, most tubes can also be special ordered in 58,56 or 54 inches for the same price.

I recently had to order a 54 x 30 steel tub and it only took 8 days to get it.

Comment

I will check with them to see if it can be ordered. I was just trying to look at it from the point of view that if it could not be ordered, but I still wanted the tub. Also, I do not want to lose any of the inside size, so I thought it might be easier to just cut it. Anyway thank you for the response.

Comment

one of my main reservations would be that the lenght of that end apron is critically engineered into the tub. Shortening the apron too much might introduce addition stress on the top radius curve which might result in a problem with the finish.

Comment

You may want to make sure that your space isn't really in fact 60". The walls could of been shimmed out a bit and the thickness of the existing backerboard and tile may account for the shorter distance you're measureing. As Lazypup has stated, 60" is generally the norm. This is measured from the face of the studs.

Comment

Check the actual stud to stud dimension on the rough in, If you only need two inches or less, you might consider notching the studs 1 inch on either end.

The only thing i would caution, is do not make the mistake I found in the house I am currently doing a rehab on. The bathroom here is 56 inchs stud to stud and they removed a stud to install a 60 inch cast iron tub. The right hand end of the tub was actually pressing against the exterior wall sheeting.

They then installed a 2 inch scab in place of the stud and installed lathe boards curved to form a recess in the wall for the end radius of the tub. In thirty years of plumbing i have never encountered such a mess.

If that were not problamatic enough, they had the faucett/shower mixer on the left hand end of the tub, and the drain on the right hand end. I could just imagine trying to stretch out and relax in that tub with the drain stopper control handle digging into your back, but then i guess one could sit the other way and lean back on the faucett spout.

Needless to say, i had to rework the framing, then special order a 54 inch tub, not to mention I had to remove all the existing waste pipe for the entire bathroom and redo it for numerous problems. The most notable problem was that the tub drain was now directly over the house sill plate, so they attached an automotive radiator hose from the tub drain to form around the sill and attach to a trap in the basement.

Oh,,did i mention that there was a 2 inch slope in the floor on the 56 inch run? Now that is amazing, more than a 1/4in per foot slope on the floor, but the drain pipes were all level.

Given that i found 4 empty quart bottles inside the walls, i must presume that Jack Daniels was the original architect on this project.

Comment

Well, I spoke with the guy at Lowes again, and he told me that the particular style we wanted only came in a 60", so I can't special order. I guess I'll just have to tear out the old tub, and then hope I can find a replacement tub. Thank you all for the help. And sorry Lazypup to hear about all of your trouble, I hope I don't run into that same problem!!!

Comment

I am currently doing rehabs on older homes so I run into these type of problesm often. Rather than think of them as problems, i like to think of it as job security.

Comment

Nothing against Lowes.......I shop there often, but whenever told by one of the stores about an item not being available, I go directly to the manufacturer for verification. I found that what the manufacturer didn't offer at this store was available at another! Same brand item, but, Home Depot versus Lowes kind of thing.

Comment

I installed a jucauzzi here at home which I ordered from a company online in richmond VA. The tub measures 591/2 X 42 wide X 24 deep. They shipped it by truck for free within 2 weeks of my order. I paid $850 complete.

Comment

I have to agree with MrCaptainBob.....just because Lowes cannot get something through their logisticw network does not necesarily mean it is not avalable.

You know the manufacturer of the tub you like, try contacting them directly. If they have it, they may either ship direct or they may refer you to a supplier in your region that handles special orders for their products. (Many manufacturers have agreements with their dealers that they will not market directly in competion with a regional dealer)

You stated in your post that the wall dimension measured 58 inches. If that is inside to inside on the finish wall, you then deduct 1/2 inch either end for the sheetrock and you most likely have a 59 or 60 inch rough opening. If the rough is 59 inches you should be able to cut a 1/2inch notch in the studding and slide a 60 inch tub right in.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =