Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Toilet Handle

We have a toilet in a bathroom that is very rarely used. Now when you go to flush it, the handle is stuck. It appears that the seal around the inside of the tank which separates to release the water from the tank sticks to the cover of this valve (sorry I don't know any of the names). Is there a way to prevent this sticking and/or correct this problem.

Thanks,
    JMR

Sounds like your flapper ball is sticking to the flush valve seat.

Sometimes when they age the rubber gets a bit gummy, and if not used for a considerable period of time the sticky rubber sort of glues itself in place.

In normal operation the flapper just lays on top of the flush valve seat and the weight of the water in the tank holds it in place. You might be able to just reach in and pull it loose, but odds are it will probably leak afterwords and drive you nuts as the fill valve repeatedly opens trying to maintain the water level in the tank.

The cheap, easy and simple solution is to replace the flapper ball. There are universal replacement flappers that only cost about $1.50.

Before you start, locate the water supply line on the lower left underside of the tank and turn the stop valve off.

Pull upward on the chain to open the flapper and flush the water in the tank. (If the flapper is stuck you may need to reach in the water and pull the flapper ball itself.)

When the flapper is removed chech the valve seat surface. There may be bits of rubber or scale buildup that could prevent the new flapper from sealing. Normally you can just scrape that with a thumbnail or a putty knife to clean it. Just be sure not to gouge the surface when using tools on it.

Normally the flapper has one of two mounting styles. Examine the base of the standpipe were the flapper ball is connected. Some have two little finger like protrusions and the flapper ball mounts just snap over them. The second commonly used style has a molded ring of rubber that slips around the standpipe and is slid down into place.

You can find universal replacement flapper balls in your local hardware that have both mounting styles. If yours is the rubber slip on type you simply slip it on. If you have the finger hanger type you cut the rubber ring out and use the finger holes on the flapper ball mounts.

I prefer the ones made by Korky or Fluidmaster but almost all of them are the same.

Once you have the new flapper in place you will have to attach the chain or strap to the flush handle. It should be adjusted so there is just a bit of slack in the chain. Be careful that there is not excess chain laying on the bottom of the tank. During a flush the excess chain can get pulled into the valve seat and when the ball goes back down into place the excess chain will prevent it from sealing properly.

It is best to examine the flapper in your particular toilet before you buy the new one as there are some that are different and will require an exact replacement.

With the new flapper in place and the chain attached, turn the water on and watch the tank fill. When the tank is full, examine the water in the bowl trap. If it seems to be still your okay. If it shows any ripples or motion, you may have to clean the seat a bit more, or if you have the rubber ring type mount you may have to slide it up or down a bit on the standpipe to adjust it.

Comment

I guess I was describing the wrong toilet. We actually have one that instead of the flapper ball, there is a while plastic column that gets pulled up by the bar extending from the flush handle. This is what is stuck to the ring seal at the bottom. The ring is a red ring and it is a bit sticky. I tried to clean it, but it still sticks. In addition, the seal is not that strong and a bit of water now leaks into the bowl. I guess I should just replace this ring.

While removing this ring, it is placed on top of another seal that is black in color and is sealed to the bottom of the inner tank. I touched this a few times and some black residue coated my fingers and some black particles started floating around in the remaining water in the tank. Is this a problem? This toilet is only about a year old.

Thanks,
      JMR

Comment

Although it is a different design, the actual sealing process remains the same. A rubber seal is pressed against the flush vavle outlet, and it is held in place by the weight of the water above the seal.

That black residue you got on your fingers is very common and is indicative of a defective rubber seal.

You should be able to find a replacement seal for your toilet at any hardware store.

The change out is basically the same,,,turn the water off, flush the tank to drain the water out, change out the parts, then turn the water on again.

Comment

Before I conduct major toilet surgery, I want to understand you fully. The black seal was covered by another red ring that I removed and will replace. This is what was sticking. I only noticed the black seal was producing residue as I contacted it several times when try to get the red ring seal loose. Upon further inspection, the black seal seems to be between the tank and the bottom of the toilet. To get it out, I would have to unscrew the tank from the rest of the toilet. Do you recommend this? How can this thing be faulty after only a year?

Thanks,
          JMR

Comment

It sounds as if you have a fluidmaster type replacement flush valve.
            The red seal you describe is the movable seal to release the water during the flush operation. The black seal is on the base of the flushvalve mount to seal the flush valve to the tank bottom.

On the underside of the tank immediately under the flush valve is a donut shaped rubber gasket that seals the tank to the bowl.

The movable red seal is the only component you should have to change to correct your problem.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =