Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain question...ASAP help

Drain opening installed in my garage for future use of a water softner. Note there is a plug in the drain..looks like a knockout. I am concerned that if I knock it out it will of course remain in the pipe and could cause future clog problems. Appears there is no other option however? 1 1/2 inch galv comes out of the wall. The knockout is about 8" in and looks like plastic...?????????

Help...in the middle of an install..
    Thanks.
    Tim

So are you afraid this could be a "knock-in' , instead of a "knock-out"?
    Seriously, if your concerned that you may drop it into the drain, why not just drill 2 small holes about an 1/2" apart and tie a wire onto it so it cant drop in.

Comment

The plug is about 8" into the pipe..don't have many 10" drill bits and snaking a wire in one hole and back out the other may take me till xmas. Additionally, if I did that, the plug I assume is the same id as the 1 1/2 galv pipe so I would not be able to drag it out...again I assume it is made to fall back into the ABS pipe since it is probably bigger ie 3" to 4". I have searched the internet on every possible combo of words to try and find a supplier that lists this item so I can see how it is assembled...NO LUCK..
      The first time the internet has let me down unless my terminlolgy has just been wrong....
      Thanks...appreciate you humor...knockin plug...
      Take Care
      Tim

Comment

You could unscrew the 1 1/2 galvanized nipple, remove the PLUG (THERE ARE NO KNOCKOUT FITTINGS EXCEPT A KNOCKOUT CLOSET FLANGE), then apply some pipe dope to the threads and reinsert the nipple.

If you are intending to use this as a drain for the water softener there are some code resrictions you should be aware of also.

A water softener drain may not be connected directly to the house draining system, It is required to be connected by means of an indirect waste.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =