Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I should have mentioned that I'm in Los Angeles. Straps and flex lines are required here. It's interesting that what's required here is actually forbidden elsewhere.

LA requires a permit and inspection to replace an existing water heater. At first that may seem overly picky, but when you think about all the different ways a water heater can hurt you -- steam explosion, gas explosion/fire, carbon monoxide, flood, falling over .... It does make sense that they'd want to check them all.

-- J.S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

The requirement to use dielectric couplings between copper and iron pipe or vessels has been a code standard in all codes for over 30 years.

In this region if copper is directly coupled to the iron it will begin to corrode within 6 months and normally will leak within the first year.

It is nearly impossible to remove a copper male adapter that has corroded in place by electrolisys and normally requires replacing the entire tank.

Due to the code requirement, many water heater manufacturers are now installing dielectric fittings during manufacturing or packing them in the box with a new water heater.

In this particular city, the water company is required to check the tanks when servicing the meters or installing new service and if the dielectric fittings are not present they will not turn the water on until it is corrected.
      No kidding, Like I said a male copper MIP fitting connected into the tank will last for years and years without any problems at all and still will be removable to use over if you wanted to do so.
      We usually cut the copper and leave them in so we have a couple of tubes on top to use for handles but I have removed the old ones and used them over again many times.

Our water meters are outside and plumbers install the service lines so unless we call them to locate a curb stop for us, about all we ever see of the water company is an occasional meter reader.

The two internally lined steel nipples that come shipped in our water heaters are just "check valves" of sorts that still conduct electricity.

Comment

DEAN

The two internally lined nipples are dielectric nipples. Do not confuse electrical continuity with dielectric continuity.

Whenever two dissimilar metals are in direct contact, and the junction between the metals is reacted upon by the application of heat energy or a chemical electrolyte a very small electrical current is generated.

We see a helpful application of a dielectric current in the case of a thermocouple. A Thermocouple uses two dissimilar metals, normally nickle and copper and as it is heated in the flame of a gas pilot light it generates a current. The current is then passed through a coil of copper wire inside the gas control, which forms an electro-magnetic field to hold the gas valve open. If the pilot flame should happen to go out, the by-metal contact cools and stops generating the current, which would then stop energizing the copper electro-magnetic coil and the gas valve is closed by an internal spring. During this process electrons transfer from one metal to the other to generate the current. In time enough molecules will be transferred to physically break down the contact between the two metals which explains what happens when a thermocouple burns out.

There is another very interest property of dissimilar metal contact. While the application of heat will generate a current we can reverse the process. The external application of electrical energy to a dissimilar metal junction with either generate heat or remove heat energy from the point of contact depending upon the polarity of the applied electrical current. Thus if a battery were applied to a thermocouple the tip of the thermocouple would get warm and if the battery polarity was reversed the tip would get cold. In recent years we have seen portable ice chests for automobiles that can either heat or cool. The actual heating or cooling unit in those products is simply a large Bi-Metal plate with heat sink fins. When the automotive electrical energy is applied in one direction the plate temperature increases which then heats the container. Reversing the polarity will cause the bi-metal plate to cool, thus cooling the container.

The entire process is similar to the production of electrical energy in a dry cell battery. Voltage is the measurement of the flow of electrons from on point to another. In a dry cell battery the the electrolite is the catalist that causes the reacton. The flow of electrons is from a zinc anode to a carbon cathode. The flow of electrons continues until the zinc anode is consumed, at which point we say the battery is dead. (Properly a flashlight battery should be called a cell. A battery is a combination of two or more cells.)

In a water pipe the water serves as the electrolite, and in the case of water heaters we also have the addition of heat which further enhances the process. Electrons are drawn out of the copper and carried by the water until they are deposited on the iron. The introduction of a plastic lined nipple is sufficient to keep the two dissimilar metals separated far enough that the electrical resistance of the water is sufficient to prevent the flow of electrons from the copper to the iron in the electrolite path, thus, while the plastic lined nipples would have a direct electrical continuity, they do not have an electro-chemical continuity in the electrolytic path.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

DEAN

The two internally lined nipples are dielectric nipples. Do not confuse electrical continuity with dielectric continuity.
          <snip>
          Thanks Richard,

It is very confusing since the word "dielectric" means non conductor of electricity and the check valves are made of metal which would conduct electricity from the pipes to the tank.

I think I'll go look in our junk pile and see if I can get a few pictures of water heater connections that have been in for a few years.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by austin

It is a 60 gallon electric, Super Cascade, Giant Greenfoam, hot water tank. It looks one can connect the cold water either on the top or on the side at the bottom of the tank. I don't know why it was connected to the bottom of the tank. There is also what looks like a threaded drain valve at the bottom of the tank, but I don't see how one would open it. The copper is attached to the tank with a metal elbow. It might be hardened bronze (darker than copper, rough surface, not shiny), but I don't know enough to be able to tell. In any case, it is not anywhere near 6" long. I tried twice to upload a digital picture of the installed tank, but it timed out on the last 5 kb (I'm on dial-up).

Comment

Hi Austin,

I was reading your reply to the moderator about your hot water heater supply line problem and I wanted to address the problem that you had uploading image files. If the image file was a .tif, raw or any other type of uncompressesd image file you will, essentially, be waiting till 'hell freezes over' and probably time out on your browser window. If you convert the file to a .jpeg/.jpg or any other compressed fire, it will upload in mere seconds. I'd also switch to a 9.6k to 56k modem if I were you. they're easy to install and even win 95 has the drivers for most of the common ones(let alone, Win 98 and 2000)

Excelant link for a free file converter[no spy/malware]totally free and easy to use:

This website is for sale! infranview.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, infranview.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

www.search.com/related/infranview. html?tag=se.sr-1-118.related.c.9.6.bottom - 18k

or type:'infranview' into any popular search engine.

This application not only converts image files, but audio and video files as well.

Good luck !

Comment

Almost all of the Windows operating systems have Windows "Paint"

If you open a file in paint, then hit File ..Save AS..

When the save window opens you need to assign a "file Name" and on the second line where it says File type, change the file type to JPEG ..then hit save.

That will automatically convert the file to a JPEG.

Also, in Paint, hit tools,,,Attributes..then change the file format to 550x550 pixels and it will be properly formated for the bulletin board.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =