Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lavratory Drain line quetion

I have a 1/14" copper drain line that is sticking out of the wall by ~2". I want to connect a nice shiny silver tailpipe instead that will show outside the wall into a P trap and connect to a drain throat underneath an open "Washstand" sink. http://www.americanstandard-us.com/P...sp?prodID=1554 I'd like to end up with a nice straight line into the wall.

On the supply lines, I bought valves that have silver pipe extension that will fit over the copper nubs sticking out of the wall that I can sweat. I thought I could find something like that for the drain line. Not to be.

I found that the 17GA 1 1/4" P-trap silver tailpipe is way too small and too easily slides into the 1 1/4" copper... no good! I found that a 1 1/2" silver Ptrap will slide nicely over 1 1/4" copper, but then I am at the wrong size...

Could someone please look at the picture and let me know what I am missing. Thank you!

The drain pipe extending out of the wall is an 1 1/4 pipe, therefore the only trap you may legally use is an 1 1/4 trap. (You may not reduce the size of a drain in the direction of flow.)

You could cut the 1 1/4 brass pipe extending out of the wall and install an 1 1/4 brass sweat on trap adapter flush with the wall. With an 1 1/4 trap adapter in place the 1 1/4 p-trp will fit directly into it.

This will probably require opening up the wall them doing a minor sheet rock repair.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I looked in another bathroom and it seems like the 1 1/4" Ptrap is directly sweat into the 1 1/4 copper drain - there is just a lot of solder to fill the sizable gap... is there anything wrong what that?

Comment

What a shame to have a nice looking appliance like that with ANY kind of exposed plumbing. I'd have to put some kind of hide on that trap and finish it to match...THat's about the nicest looking 'vanity' I've ever seen.

Comment

Thanks, we like it! [8)] I am actually going to really spoil it for you then. I have run the supply lines on 8" center each 4" from and raised 2 1/2" above the drain line. I am looking for some small 5 spoke handles to replace the silver stock handles. I will use some rigid OD to span up to the faucet. I think it will make for a classic look.

I really would like to get this figured out. It seems like I can sweat the 1 1/4 Ptrap drain pipe into the 1 1/4 drain and just ue enough solder. Please someone tell me that is incorrect if it is!

I just do not understand (due to lack of knowledge) why the two are so differently sized......

Comment

JC,
            In addition to meeting all applicable local Plumbing Codes ALL materials and fixtures MUST be approved by the ANSI (American National Standards Insitute), ASTM (American Society of Testing Materials), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) & ASSE (American Society of Sanitary Engineers).

In all cases the materials and fixtures only meet approval when installed in compliance with the strict standards set forth by the testing agencies.

While there are sweat in type P-traps they are all very unsightly and certainly would not meet your application.

The Chrome, Polished Brass or Gold plated thin wall tubing type P-traps, tailpieces, and drain PO plugs are intended to be connected by slip joints and are only approved when installed in that manner.

In turn, the only approved methods of transitioning from slip joints to soldered copper piping, galvanized pipe, cast iron pipe, PVC or ABS is by means of an approved "slip joint type trap Adapeter"

In extreme circuumstances rubber Fernco adapter may be used for maintenance (if approved by the local jurisdiction having authority) but would not meet code approval for a new installation or rehab work.

Comment

Thanks, I believe I have what I need! I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =